Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic PM 66 Question

Powermatic PM 66 Question

While preparing my late model PM66 for a arbor and bearing change I noticed a small square 1 long piece of metal in the saw dust.
    It looks like a square key such as used to secure a pulley to a shaft. With the cast iron top off I was able to get serious about cleanup so I set that aside and continued with the arbor replacement process.
    That's when I noticed that the blade elevation mechanism seems to have a problem. The front handle that controls the up and down now has to spin 5 full revolutions before it starts lowering or raising the blade. The handle and shaft now back into and out of the saw when turned now instead of remaining stationary. There is approximately 3 inches of that shaft exposed.

I hope I've described this problem accurately. Another description would be the blade tilt handle, when it is used the handle remains stationary upon turning and the blade tilts to where ever you want it. Both locks on both handles work and both tilt and blade elevation operate very smoothly, no binding or grinding.
    Any suggestion of help would be appreciated.

Walter

I have a Powermatic 66 manual. If you pm me with your e-mail address, I will send it to you. That will let you know what part you have and the problem.

Here is a picture of page 14 of the manual.

Page 14.jpg

Don't bother emailing the manual, just google "powermatic 66 manual" and you'll find it.

PM 66 blade elevation problem

Page 14 of the manual.

Strange as it may sound I actually have the original manual. The saw was one of those 'garage finds'. It had been sitting in the back of the original ower's garage for at least 15 years, unused. The manual and paperwork was in a large zip lock bag inside the saw. The saw caddy had never been taken out of the box and was just leaning up against the saw. I've also downloaded ever manual I could find on the saw for reference.

The one question I have for another PM66 owner is does the elevation wheel on their saw travel back and forth or in and out when its turned?

Walter

The handle should stay in place in the horizontal plane, and not move in and out. Take it apart and see what you can see.

I don't have a 66 but restored a 65.

I cannot remember if mine is a 65 or 66, but no the wheel doesn't travel in and out. The reason I placed the page of the manual was because you should be able to look at that to determine what is making yours do that.

I will try to take photos of mine tomorrow for you, but my guess is that somehow the worm has set in the wrong location.
    Last edited by Rich Riddle; 08-21-2016 at 10:36 PM.

Check the locking collar on that elevation mechanism. Likely, it has slipped on shaft. Repeated power on-off of the saw over time tends dislocated the collar. Either that or previous owner didn't keep shaft and gear components lubricated making cranking stiff and jammed on collar too hard. Do not see square key on that elevation shaft. I see a woodruff key.

Edit:I had some additional thoughts to provide..... the hand wheel could also have slipped on shaft.
    Last edited by Bill Orbine; 08-22-2016 at 2:37 AM.

Thank you to all that have replied!
    Bill, the locking collar and wheel were both tight. As for proper placement of that locking collar, how do I figure that out? Looks like I'm about to get real familiar with the inside of this saw.

Walter,

When you say the handle moves out, when the handle moves out does the handle move out on the shaft or does the entire shaft to which the handle is attached also move out? I was assuming you meant the entire handle and shaft moved out as one unit, but the handle could simply be moving out on the shaft. A simple marker line will let you know.

You could try peeking down throat with a good light. Crank the wheel and watch the movement of the shaft. There should be no lateral movement of the shaft.
    Last edited by Bill Orbine; 08-22-2016 at 11:57 AM.

Pertaining to the locking collar: I can't tell from that schemattic where exactly that locking collar is supposed to set? Did it set over that woodruff key?

The cast iron top is off the table so I can see the entire operation of these parts. The entire shaft with spinner handle moves on a lateral plane when used. Sawblade up causes that shaft with spinner handle to travel out, sawblade down makes the shaft spin back into the saw and then the sawblade moves down.

I believe the locking collar needs to set up against the tilt cam gear. That should prevent the shaft from walking into cabinet. You probably also note that the blade rises higher than before.
    Last edited by Bill Orbine; 08-22-2016 at 8:41 PM.