Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Habits

This is why there is a rack along the back of my bench. Chisel either go back to their "home station" or, if I am chopping away, the chisel being used goes into a nearby doghole.

Apparently, so I have been told, I use too many of these things..."??????"
    and it seems to confuse some readers out there.

I majored in Shop class in school, English wasn't one of my better subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    As one who has caused a nick or two in my bench this way I am curious to know why you prefer bevel up.

jtk
    The reason I was given, at least, is safety. If the bevel is up, and the back is flat against the bench, there's far less chance of running your hand into the edge.

It also occurs to me that it might serve to help protect the edge from getting dinged just as with a plane.

Good point about cutting into the bench, though!

I guess the best option would be to have one of those chisel holding slots as some people put in their split-top benches!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Dupont View Post
    The reason I was given, at least, is safety. If the bevel is up, and the back is flat against the bench, there's far less chance of running your hand into the edge.

It also occurs to me that it might serve to help protect the edge from getting dinged just as with a plane.

Good point about cutting into the bench, though!

I guess the best option would be to have one of those chisel holding slots as some people put in their split-top benches!
    That does make sense. I used to drop them in to a dog hole at times. Then got a nicked hand from one when reaching under the bench. Sometimes I use a rack on top of the bench to keep them from moving around.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That does make sense. I used to drop them in to a dog hole at times. Then got a nicked hand from one when reaching under the bench. Sometimes I use a rack on top of the bench to keep them from moving around.

jtk
    It just occurred to me that a little panel with a rack on it to hold your chisels might be a wonderful solution, ala this "Sloyd" style bench:

I really have a problem in that, I think, I want to build every workbench under the sun...

Blog Entries
    I keep my chisels in a leather roll. The roll is normally on a table behind my bench.

If I'm working with the chisel, I sometimes will drop the blade of the chisel through a dog hole. That gets the sharp edge where it can't cut you and the cutting edge is protected as well.