Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running a table saw and planer off a generator.

Running a table saw and planer off a generator.

I was wondering if it is possible to run my planer or table saw off a 7500 watt generator?

Should I be able to do it if I have correct hookup for the 220 volt machines?

its possible. i would only run one at a time.
    is the 7500w peak or continuos?

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Yes you can I've done it with a Dewalt 746 table saw and a 735 planer, it's expensive though. If the saw or the planer have electronics of any kind I'd be careful and only use an inverter type generator.

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    As David said, you will be fine, contractors do this often enough.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

OK

I tried it with my planer and the generator started bouncing around a lot when I powered up the planer so turned it off quickly. By the way the motor does not start up on the plane. Generator just bounces.

I run the three prong planer off a wall outlet from the panel in the garage and it runs fine off of that.

I had to make a splice from the three prong planer plug to the four prong receptacle on the generator. An electrician told me nothing was wrong with the wiring in the splice plug.

Its a Generac 7500 watt generator.

Can't figure out why it bounces around?

Too much start up request for the generator?

Obviously something is wrong. You're saying the planer runs on 240V, what size is the motor? For 120V wiring you generally have Black (hot), white (neutral) and ground. For 240V you have 2 hot and 1 ground, you don't need the 4th wire (neutral) in this case.
    I suspect either your wiring is wrong or the planer draws to much current on start up.
    Last edited by John Lankers; 05-01-2016 at 9:45 AM.

I'm no sort of electrical or generator expert but sold a bandsaw to a customer in Hawaii once, who was off the grid and wanted to run it off a generator. The generator he had "should" have been able to handle the motor size but he told me that his experience was similar to the OP's. The saw would not start. Maybe the starting amps were too high? I'm not sure and lost touch with him but am curious to hear other's experiences on this.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I agree, the HP and AMP rating printed on the motor plate would be helpful.
    We used to have starting issues with big handheld angle grinders back in the day running on 220V and 10Amp breakers, had to run the blade over the shop floor while hitting the switch at the same time to keep the breaker in.
    Last edited by John Lankers; 05-01-2016 at 10:11 AM.

Starting amperage is 5 - 6 times as much as full load running amperage. When the power is available, it only lasts a fraction of a second. A 7500 watt generator should be able to start a 2hp motor but may have trouble with anything bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lankers View Post
    Obviously something is wrong. You're saying the planer runs on 240V, what size is the motor? For 120V wiring you generally have Black (hot), white (neutral) and ground. For 240V you have 2 hot and 1 ground, you don't need the 4th wire (neutral) in this case.
    I suspect either your wiring is wrong or the planer draws to much current on start up.
    When I run the planer off the wall outlet I created it runs fine. In this case Two hot lines go the piggy backed double breaker on the panel and the ground line on the planer plug goes to the ground bar through the three pronged outlet I put on the wall next to the panel. Works fine.

As for the generator, when I take my three pronged 220 volt plug to the planer out of the wall outlet and merge it to the four pronged outlet on the generator ( this outlet has two hots, one ground and one neutral) I send the two hot lines for the planer to the two hot lines feeding out of the generator outlet and send the ground line from the planer plug to the ground line (green) on the generator outlet. This leaves the neutral line (white) on the generator vacant. Perhaps the ground line on the planer plug should go to the vacant neutral line on the generator outlet????

If that's not the issue then it must be too much startup amperage.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wachtell View Post
    If that's not the issue then it must be too much startup amperage.
    Ground goes to ground. (normally, home generator grounds aren't attached to anything at all internally; but that's a wholenother issue)

Your generator can put out a maximum of 31a.
    A typical planer with a 3hp motor will draw about 15a. To start will require between 60a and 90a.
    You don't have to be real good at math to answer your own question.

Ideally your generator should have tripped out on the overload; instead it was failing.

Warning: Do not connect the Ground to Neutral or vise versa. It's a safety issue.
    I'm not familiar with your generator but have you tried to bring the engine up to full speed before turning the planer on? If the planer would draw more Amps than the breaker on the generator can handle it would simply trip.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lankers View Post
    Warning: Do not connect the Ground to Neutral or vise versa. It's a safety issue.
    I'm not familiar with your generator but have you tried to bring the engine up to full speed before turning the planer on? If the planer would draw more Amps than the breaker on the generator can handle it would simply trip.
    I'm not familiar with "bringing a generator up to full speed". What else do I need to do besides turning the generator on and letting in run a minute or two in order to bring it up to full speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Ground goes to ground. (normally, home generator grounds aren't attached to anything at all internally; but that's a wholenother issue)

Your generator can put out a maximum of 31a.
    A typical planer with a 3hp motor will draw about 15a. To start will require between 60a and 90a.
    You don't have to be real good at math to answer your own question.
    Ideally your generator should have tripped out on the overload; instead it was failing.
    You make it sound like the answer to my first post on this thread is no. You can not run a 220 volt planer on a 7500 watt generator. Start up request in amperage will be too high for the generator. The generator will be overloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wachtell View Post
    I'm not familiar with "bringing a generator up to full speed". What else do I need to do besides turning the generator on and letting in run a minute or two in order to bring it up to full speed.
    You can try plugging in a trouble light, power drill or something else to trigger the generator to Rev up and then start the planer.