Thread: sourcing thin hardwood Chatanooga, TN and Lake of the Ozarks,MO

sourcing thin hardwood Chatanooga, TN and Lake of the Ozarks,MO

I am looking for a source of small quantities of various hardwoods for making keepsake boxes. Most desired are 3/8 and 1/2 inch thickness. I will be visiting Chatanooga,TN and Lake of Ozarks,MO in June. Have found no sources near Sarasota, FL

Do you have a bandsaw for ripping thicker stock? Most places that I have seen thin stock are fairly expensive. You end up paying nearly as much for 3/8 stock as you would for 4/4 stock. It may be cheaper to buy 5/4 or 6/4 and rip it thinner.

Steve

One of the members here recently recommended Ocooch Hardwoods. I bought what I needed and thought it was at a fair price. They have thicknesses from 1/16 to 3/4 and up to 12 inches wide.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

You may want to try Richards Craft Woods in central NC. He has many wood species in thicknesses from 1/8" up to an inch at reasonable prices and modest shipping costs. His quality is very good.

Wall Lumber in N Carolina has a good selection. I've order d from them multiple times and have been very pleased with the wood.

I have no affiliation with them, just a customer.

If your going to the Ozarks you will be within 30 miles or so of the Independent Stave Company. I have to believe they have waste that is still usable.
    independentstavecompany.com/ They give tours it appears so that might be cool as well.

Some distance from your MO stop, but Metro Hardwoods in Independence, MO has that stuff.

Andy

Their website states that they do not give tours at their Missouri plant, only at their Kentucky plant

Call Jason Peters at Advantage Lumber right there in Sarasota. I stopped in and talked to him and got a tour of their facility. I almost had too much wood I couldn't fly home. Here is his contact info. He's a good guy.

Jason Peters
    Direct: 941-388-9299 ext. 256
    FL Location: 7524 Commerce Place, Sarasota, FL 34243

I use a lot of 1/2, 3/8, 5/16 and 1/4 stock. I have never found it economical to buy it already dimensioned. I buy rough sawn kiln dried and then flatten, resaw, plane and finally thickness sand the material to the final thickness. I use a lot of it for CNC carving, which requires a very uniform thickness and I just can't count on someone far away to do that.

Smith Hardwoods in Lebanon, MO., which is approx. 30 miles from Camdenton.417-532-9593. They have a large range of hardwoods, plywood, moldings, and hardware. If you call ahead of time, they will plane it to the thickness you want. Ask for Leroy or Cory.

I have no personal knowledge of this business but it might be worth checking out. They are about 30 miles north of I 70 on US 61.
    woodnshop.net/hardwood-lumber-domestic/

Here is another place I have not been to personally but know where they are located. St Charles/St Peters area.
    upickhardwoodlumber.com/

Here is another business that I know has generally pretty good prices on their products.
    They are in Jefferson City. cardwellhardwoods.com/

There are many many mills in Missouri. This is but a small example.