Thread: Grinder Cabinet Design

Question Grinder Cabinet Design

I am going to build a cabinet for my slow speed grinder, which is dedicated to sharpening my turning tools. I need it to be mobile (casters) and support heavy weight. The grinder’s shipping weight was about 90 lbs.
    As you can see from the pics, years ago I put a sheet of mdf on top of an old tv cabinet. It has since bowed almost 3/16” in the center. I’d like some advice on how to construct a strong cabinet. Others that I have built have been frameless ¾ ply- not strong enough for this. I was thinking of a thin torsion box over a 2X3 frame. Any thoughts?

Thanks.IMG_0104.jpg IMG_0105.jpg

If you are okay with this cabinet but simply want to address the weak top why not just retrofit some cross members underneath the top and carry on?

Joe, I built my grinder stand from 3/4" plywood. It is 24" square and 48" tall. It has 4 drawers on heavy duty slides. It also has retractable casters. I rarely move it. I made a platform to hold my grinder. It is also 3/4" plywood. It is 3" tall and has 4 dividers. The grinder bolts to this and it has rubber feet. It is very stable and has not moved. I like my grinder up high so that I don't have to bend over.
    Joe

+1. It'd be a shame to waste a perfectly fine cabinet that can be strengthened easily.

Joe
    I built this as a lumber cart to move and store parts in the shop. It is not pretty but it is strong and cheap.
    The base is a moving platform. I got my at O'Connor hardware in Billerica, not too far from you, but they also have them at Harbor Freight. the assembled hardwood platform was cheaper than the price of the casters.
    4x4s in the corners, mitered 2x4s on top of that and scrap plywood for a top.
    you could add shelves and or sides as desired.

Hope this gives you some ideas
    Stan

IMG_0791 copy.jpg
    Last edited by Stan Powers; 05-01-2016 at 4:17 PM.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll mesh all your ideas and strengthen the existing cabinet, add drawers, etc.

I love SMC!

You can reinforce the top. Or, if you build a new one, have a vertical that comes right up the center under the grinder. Lotsa ways to approach this one.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

John, I was considering that, but wouldn't that simply transfer the weight to the bottom of the cabinet, since it's on casters?