Thread: Moisture Meters

Blog Entries

Moisture Meters

Ten years ago, moisture meters were discussed a lot. I have a Wagner MMC205 (pinless). Not much discussion on moisture content of wood is going on, at least I'm not hearing about it.
    I admit, I typically don't use my meter.

Am I alone, or how many of you don't check moisture anymore. IIRC, I used to get a lot of 8%-15% readings.

I think I'm going to put a battery back in my meter and use it. IIRC, I paid about $150 for it.

I have and use a Lignomat pin meter. Since I primarily saw and dry my own wood, knowing the MC is important...as it should be regardless of where one acquires wood.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Mike,
    I have a very nice supply of air dried figured slabs so my Lignomat pinless meter sees frequent use. I usually have it with me when purchasing material, just like to know what I'm really getting (the more I know, the more I can anticipate). MC is important in my shop.

I have a Delmhorst pin type meter, 25 years old and still kicking. I mostly use it before/ during/ after runs in my Ebac Kiln.

Delmhorst J-2000X pin meter with slide hammer and 1 1/2" pins.
    Wagner MMC210 pinless meter.

I use both of them. They are essential for operating my kiln.

When using a meter (especially pinless), keep in mind that they only read to a certain depth.

Most pinless meters read about 1/4" - 3/8" deep. If you want something that reads deeper into the lumber it costs a lot more.

FWIW - Lignomat claims 3/4" penetration.

I simply gave up on meters. The ones I can afford for a hobby aren't accurate; the ones that are accurate prove too expensive for a meager hobbyist. I do believe after tons of reading that pinned moisture meters prove superior to pinless moisture meters.

I use a Delmhorst pin meter quite often, mostly to check lumber I'm bringing into the shop from uncertain conditions and to check kiln loads. Material in the shop varies from 6-10% winter to summer and correlates with the hygrometer on the wall, and I can assume that lumber in an un-tempered shed around here will run 11-14%. I have a general idea what is going on so I use the meter to supplement that. I use a scale to closely monitor drying rates in the kiln and to keep track of blanks too thick for the pin meter. Mine has a slide hammer that takes pins up to 2" long so if I can get the pins in I can assess the moisture gradient in a pretty thick piece.

I have more confidence in the Delmhorst than my Wagner pinless unit because I have had more consistent results and better agreement with oven dry tests. The Wagner calibration, I believe, is based on specific gravity values for various species rather than conductivity. I have definitely observed different densities within the same species, so perhaps that explains it.

I use my meter as required on every project.