Thread: Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest

Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener

I have always sharpened my chainsaw chains by hand using a file with the attached guide bar. Trying to find a way to improve the accuracy I came across the Timberline chainsaw sharpener on the LV website as well as several others and was wondering if someone could add their 2 cts. to the generally positive online reviews.
    Thanks in advance

I used to sharpen by hand also. I didn't do it as often as I should and I suspect I didn't do a very good job. I recently got the chain saw sharpening adapter for my Dremel tool and it made a huge difference. I can how sharpen the entire chain in 5 minutes and it gets it really, really sharp. You can get a dremel and the attachment cheaper than the LV setup.

i use the stihl jig its a hand jig but its pretty fast. takes about 10 mins to sharpen the blade by hand on my 18" saw. you also leave the chain on the saw.

David, this is the jig I've been using for the last 20 or years. The problem I have with it is I can't get a consistent grind every time esp. between both sides of the chain. I take my chains to the service depot after 5 or so hand sharpening but it's expensive and they grind more away than necessary IMO.

Interesting concept, I watched a few YouTube videos on it and it seems similar to the Stihl file guide but eliminates some of the front to back and side to side rocking while grinding. For $20 it's not more than the Stihl saw guide, I already have a Dremel.

I recently bought a used Timberline. It takes some getting use to as I didn't feel the cutter was in place in the tooth properly at first. I finally got it ok and felt it sharpened the chain well. I will not use it for every sharpening. I will use a file and when I feel the chain needs better tuning I will use the Timberline.

I whet every chainsaw chain each time we fill up the tank. If done then, it only takes 2 or 3 file strokes. If you wait two tanks of gas, you're not only cutting, or trying to cut, with a duller chain, but it will take double the number of file strokes on the next sharpening.

I bought the Granberg, or Oregon (can't remember), file jig decades ago, and used it a few times. It's buried somewhere in a drawer or toolbox for the last 35 years. I expect that's where this contraption will end up.

A chainsaw chain is way easier to sharpen than a handsaw. You push straight back into the tooth with the file. The hard part is keeping the angle consistent. If you need a jig, I'd suggest buying a couple of small rare earth magnets that you can put a screw through from LV, cutting a scrap of wood to 27 degrees (or whatever you use), and let the magnets hold it on the backside of the bar while you file the chain. It goes so fast with just a file that any jig contraption quickly becomes a waste of time. It's a skill easily learned.

I have a power sharpener mounted in the mechanic shop. I used to use it when a chain's teeth got uneven from hand sharpening. As my hand filing has improved, the power sharpener hasn't been used in years.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 05-02-2016 at 3:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lankers View Post
    David, this is the jig I've been using for the last 20 or years. The problem I have with it is I can't get a consistent grind every time esp. between both sides of the chain. I take my chains to the service depot after 5 or so hand sharpening but it's expensive and they grind more away than necessary IMO.
    sharpen all the teeth facing one direction then flip the jig and do all the opposite ones. the jig seems to work well for me. as tom says sharpen often. mine only take a couple of file strokes.

I use one similar to a dremel except it is 12 v with clamps end like jumper cable and has guide plate around the grinder marker in 5 degree increments . I sharpen and clean everytime i use the saw.
    With 12 v it's always with me in the field .

I forgot I have one of those 12 volt grinders too. No motorized grinder will sharpen the chain as sharp as a good file will. I think I used that 12v grinder once.