Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is a Starrett a Starrett?

Spare a Square

I received my Starrett low-price squares. They are as good (read, as bad) as my previous squares.

They line up perfectly (that is, by eye) with each other and with my existing squares.

My personal test for the accuracy is to use take a verified s4s piece (verified with a trusted square) and then checking all four intersections with the new square, and finally striking a square shoulder around the entire piece. If the end hits the beginning perfectly, I call it good. These both passed.

I suppose I lucked out.

Prashun
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 05-05-2016 at 1:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Prashun, Fine Woodworking completed reviews a few years back and highly recommended the PEC squares for folks not wanting to spend tons of money on Starrett squares. I purchased several squares made by PEC and couldn't be happier. They are made up north in the USA.
    Has there been a major tectonic plate shift that moved India to North America?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Backner View Post
    Has there been a major tectonic plate shift that moved India to North America?
    The PEC Machinist Squares are made in Torrance, California. I know someone that works there and have been through the factory.

They also make high quality metrology products for several other companies such as Mitutoyo and Fowler.

Woodcraft squares were made by them but they switched to cheaper manufacturers later. So if someone had the idea that Woodcraft's were PEC and then later saw a poorer Woodcraft square made in India, then I could see how someone would assume that.

PEC also sells some Solid Squares that are made in India which also confuses the matter.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 05-06-2016 at 10:19 AM.