Thread: Can anyone identify this chuck?

Can anyone identify this chuck?

I got this chuck (plus two Oneways and a Vicmarc!) with a nice lathe I bought today.
    Can anyone tell me what this chuck is? The logo is pretty clear, but I can't see any numbers or lettering etc. The logo looks like an "A" placed in a cut-out quadrant of a circle.
    I'm just curious about it.

regards,
    Doug
    IMG_1307.jpgIMG_1305.jpg

I am wondering if that is an early Vicmark. The dove tail jaws seem to match as do the jaw screws. The key is different, but similar to the pinion gear that is not enclosed in the chuck frame.

robo hippy

Looks to me to be a Axminster Clubman chuck with the O'Donnel spigot jaws. I'm sure that is what it is as I have one. I think it is the old version, the new version are made out of stainless steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    Looks to me to be a Axminster Clubman chuck with the O'Donnel spigot jaws. I'm sure that is what it is as I have one. I think it is the old version, the new version are made out of stainless steel.

This.
    I have the new version that uses a square key I stead of a pinion.

Axminster makes a good chuck. You can get other jaws at Lee Valley, though you will want to be sure they fit your chuck. Now, what lathe did you get!?

Doug

definitely an Axminster chuck.

look at their website - you see the same logo on current chucks/jaws.

Thanks for the info.
    The lathe I got was an almost immaculate PM 3520B. I've been scouring CL pretty much daily for about a year and had to move quickly to get it. It came with an assortment of chucks (all different, which is not my preferred way to do things but is interesting to get to know the different products.) It also came with a donut chuck, and various bits and pieces.

I also bought a box of tools, that i've yet to properly go through. I'm hopeful that there's some good stuff in there, due to there being at least 4 Thomson handles...
    Doug

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I am wondering if that is an early Vicmark. The dove tail jaws seem to match as do the jaw screws. The key is different, but similar to the pinion gear that is not enclosed in the chuck frame.

robo hippy
    Definitely not like any Vicmarc chuck that I have seen. Certainly looks like an Axminster with that logo.

I have a mate who is not really a collector but just regular wood turner tool hoarder in North Queensland. He has quite a range of modern through early Australian, English and New Zealand scroll chucks that he has acquired over about 40 years of turning. So it always interesting visiting him and going through his modest collection. Good to see the evolution of Vicmarc and Nova scroll chucks although he seems to have a preference for Nova.

Dale the Evolution uses the square key but the Clubman 80 and 100 still use the pinion key.