The wife is retiring after 20 years in the US Marine Corps. She has requested a desk and I found a design that we both agreed on. She chose white oak because she is from Thousand Oaks, CA. I didnt argue at first because I have seldom used white oak and it seems like a good challenge. After buying the lumber, all I can say is that Im Glad I have a teenage son who can help me move this desk when its done.

The pictures below represent what I got done over the weekend. I work alot so progress might be a tad slow, but my favorite thing about this hobby is that you can work in bite size pieces that eventually amount to a finished piece.

Made a template while eating breakfast and having some coffee.

Laid the templates out in an effort to save material. Because of this I had some weird cuts to make with the hand saw. Note to self: Just make straight cuts when rough cutting boards.

This is one of those weird cuts

This is my moderately cambered #5 that I use for roughing. It left a pretty decent finish already so I got to see a glimmer of what might become later

Cutting numerous cross cuts so that wasting will be easier with a chisel. Is this how you guys would do it? Aside from using a bandsaw, of course.

Of course I cut myself.....Ill be surprised if this is the only blood I spill.

Blood...check
sweat...check
tears....not yet

I'd love to hear any thoughts you guys have and any ideas you might have that could make this project better. I am using 8/4 for the legs and probably 5/4 or 6/4 for the top depending on what I can find locally.