Thread: Tannewitz blade capacity?

Tannewitz blade capacity?

Anybody know how small diameter of a blade you can put I a Tannewitz tablesaw? I'm pretty sure it's an XJ, popped up for sale locally. I'm looking to put a dado head in it for making the groove for drawer bottoms. I've got a spare set of outside blades for a 1" spindle, but they're 6½" diameter. I'm guessing the motor won't allow the arbor to go high enough for it to work though.

Obviously I can just get another set, but it'd be sweet to use that set.

I have a Whitney and a Greenlee direct drive saw, and had 2 Tanny's once. You need at least an 8" diameter to just get above the table by some small fraction of an inch. I bought a 10" set, and it allows somewhere around 1-1 1/4" i believe. Enough for what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    I have a Whitney and a Greenlee direct drive saw, and had 2 Tanny's once. You need at least an 8" diameter to just get above the table by some small fraction of an inch. I bought a 10" set, and it allows somewhere around 1-1 1/4" i believe. Enough for what I do.
    I kinda figured it'd need a 10". I only need to get above the table 5/16". It'll likely leave a better cut anyways with a larger set. I was just hoping by some miracle I could use the other set that I've already got. They are left over from buying two sets, and using the chippers out of both, but only the outside blades from one. I had them bored out to 1" so I could run them on a shaper. Too good to throw away, but realistically I'll likely never find a use for them.

Thanks for the info Peter

The XJ had a 4" DOC with a 16" blade so you are out of luck. A 6.5" would run a little slow at 3600 rpm too. Have you verified the arbor? The later Tannys had a 1" but the earlier tended towards 1 1/8 or 1 1/4. Dave

This one looked like a 1" arbor. I think it's a 1962 from looking at the serial number, but I need to verify I was looking at the right numbers.

Watch ebay and CL. 10 and 12"- even 14" can show up. Dave

A little bit more info for you about the saw you ask: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=1170

This is from the OWWM site. I encourage you to look there.

I remember using a couple Tanz that took mainly 16 inch blades, but for thick lumber we could use 18 inch. One old company on last legs and not maintaining stuff used 12 inch blades! Sad,sad,sad....and slowww