Hello all,
I have spent years wanting to purchase a laser engraver. I have spent months actively researching different models, manufacturers, capabilities, modifications and vendors. I have spent about a month actively shopping for an engraver and even decided to get a bigger, more powerful, and more expensive machine than I had originally intended. Being relatively handy, I decided on a cheaper Chinese/ebay laser.
Pros: cheaper(I can afford a larger work table and more powerful tube), having to assemble, clean, adjust, modify the laser etc will give me intimate knowledge of the machine.
Cons: anticipate poor after-the-sale service, NOT plug-and-play, Chenglish manuals, required to inspect every connection, nut and bolt etc., who knows what software

I found a newer model that appears to be a bigger version of the standard $1500 50w model common among hobby workers, the XB-1060. Bigger work table, 100w. Looks fun. Not much information or videos of this machine in action. Taking a bit of a risk there, but someone has to go first. This model was offered by Goldraydigital (aka: Goldray DIY Solutions) on Ebay as a pre-sell with a longer shipping time, or, for about $200 more in shipping, a unit shipped from San Francisco with a two week estimated delivery date. I opted to pay the additional shipping ($699) to get a unit shipped from San Francisco to me more promptly. First of all, I want to play with it, not wait for it. Second: I do not want to have to deal with customs, or try to arrange my own transportation from a seaport to my home. Third: You can only leave feedback on ebay, good or bad, within 60 days of purchase. Most if not all of that time would be spent waiting for the product to arrive if I ordered from overseas.

Since ordering this item on 5/3/16 I have eagerly been awaiting notification that the item has been shipped. So far all I have received is messages from Goldraydigital trying to get me to agree to wait for overseas shipment. -- very frustrating.
I will let you all know how this transaction turns out. Hopefully they will make good on the purchase as advertised.
Scott.