Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Newport style bureau

Hi Mike,

Quote Originally Posted by P. Michael Henderson
    Prior to building this bureau, I had never done a dovetail nor any carving. It was quite a learning process.
    The only non-blasphemous comment I can think of is
    HOLY MOLY!
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

Beautiful execution. The carving is what sets this apart from the ordinary...and in cherry, no less.

Mike, I only traipse over to the Neander forum every once in a while, but I'm sure glad I did tonight. The bureau is absolutely stunning. Welcome to the Creek, and thanks very much for sharing. If this is typical of your work, share MUCH more. (Even if it's not typical...)

- Vaughn

Very nicely done Mike. I am very partial to Queen Anne and Chippendale furniture and the Goddard-Townsend styles are particularly nice. It's also good to see someone make some minor adaptations to the style in both wood choice and in the base variation. I'm sure you will treasure it for years to come.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Mike,

Excellent work. The carving work really stands out on this piece.

Mike

WOW!

And welcome!

Mike,

THe piece is stunning!! Beautiful finish and joints..........

Your carving is flawless...

THanks for sharing you talent.....and tell us any details about the project!

Question about concave shell

Hi Michael,

The chest is OUTSTANDING! I can't believe this is your first carving project! Is the concave shell carved directly into the drawer front or is it carved separately and glued on? If it is glued on, then how did you get it to fit so well?

Welcome Michael,

That is a stunning piece. Please keep bring you talent to the creek to share. that school must be something to inspire you to this level. totally WOW.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Kocourek
    Is the concave shell carved directly into the drawer front or is it carved separately and glued on? If it is glued on, then how did you get it to fit so well?
    Thanks for your kind words. The concave shell is carved directly into the drawer front. The convex shells are applied. I wasn't sure of my carving ability so I bought a board long enough that I could re-do the drawer front if I screwed up the carving the first time. I used that same board to cut the pieces for the convex shells so that the wood would be the same and would age (change color) evenly.

Before I carved the concave shell onto the drawer front, I did a practice concave shell in a piece of cherry. It's actually easier to carve than the convex shells. The shadow line around the concave shell is the really difficult thing for that shell. The space between the shell and the shadow line must be even and the shadow line must not vary in width. I tried to do it with a V-tool on my practice piece and couldn't do it - the line wound up jagged. I finally did it by using a narrow gouge, maybe a #2 or #3 (don't remember), to plunge into the wood at the outside of the shadow line, then came back and cut down towards the previous cut with a narrow #2 gouge to create a V-cut for the shadow line.

I learned a lot about period furniture in doing the research for this piece. One thing you have to keep in mind is that our cabinetmaker ancestors were business people. They had to work quickly and be economical in the use of their materials. For example, they applied the convex shells because it would have taken a much thicker board to carve them from the solid, and lots of work to waste the wood back. On the blockfront drawer faces, a piece of wood is applied behind the "innie" portion of the blockfront to provide strength, rather than use a thicker piece of wood.

Mike Henderson
    Tustin, CA

Beautifu work, Mike. So many talented artists/craftsmen out there that set a standard for us all.
    Thanks for sharing.

Tom

excellent work. I love the style and size of the piece. Great color on the finish as well. welcome to SMC. I have some some carving myself and you have a great hand at it. I currently trying to finish up a 18th century tall case clock and then I might build a newport style secretary... lots of shells. BTW connecticut also used shells quite extensively and not just RI.... for those who care.

regards
    lou

Very impressive! And great documentation of the process on your web site. Thanks for taking the extra time to document your "journey" and share with us.

14. Well a heck of a way to introduce yourself, Mike!

Very nice work.

Mike

Has anyone used spectacular yet? This is just beautiful. Welcome and hope to see much more of your work.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome