Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Newport style bureau

Newport style bureau

I'm new to the forum so I hope that I'm posting in the right place.

Attached are some pictures of a Newport style bureau that I completed recently. I emphasize the word “style” because I did not try to re-create a piece from that era but used John Townsend’s 1765 bureau, now in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, as inspiration for my piece. For example, I used cherry for my bureau rather than mahogany and made the feet and the top overhang a bit bolder than the original.

The bureau was a project for a class at the Cerritos College woodworking program. The carcass and drawers were made as part of one class while the carving was done as part of a second class. I had also taken a finishing class earlier at Cerritos and used what I learned to apply the final finish. I used machine tools whenever I could but, even with that philosophy, there was still quite a bit of hand work.

Prior to building this bureau, I had never done a dovetail nor any carving. It was quite a learning process.

I documented the building of this bureau on my web site (in reverse chronological sequence) at http://members.cox.net/h-h.woodworks...nd%20chest.htm

I’d like to also thank Alan Turner for the valuable assistance he provided via e-mail during the building of the bureau.

Mike Henderson
    Tustin, CA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 09-19-2005 at 4:10 PM.

What can you say but WOW!. Very, very impressive.

Steve

Stunning... simply stunning.

I have to say, I like your version better than the original. I think the more pronounced feet give it a bit more of an elegant look.

Jim Hinze took the words right out of my mouth. Obviously, you passed the class...
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Michael,

Very impressive piece. And welcome to the creek.

Outstanding!! I cannot imagine the patience you must have to take on this kind of intricate project...it's absolutely wonderful. Although this is not a style I know much about, I really like how the lines flow through the whole structure. It's very fluid.

And...welcome to SMC!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Michael,

I am glad you decided to share your piece with the SMC family, and weldome aboard. This a warm and wonderful forum, where support is king, and sniping (except occassionally on a maladjusted planer) is not customary.

Thanks for the kind remarks. But, it was you who stood at the bench in that horrible California climate and executed this wonderful piece. May you and your family enjoy it for many generations.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Welcome to the Creek and a really great piece.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

WOW! Nice work! Cerritos might have provided the classes but you obviously brought quite a bit of talent to the task.

Absolutely gorgeous! Welcome to the Creek! What a great first post!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thank you all for your very kind words. Althought building the chest was a long process, it was really enjoyable. Reminds me of the story of the woodworker who had a chair for sale for $50 at a local show. A potential customer came up, admired the chair and said that she wanted a set of four chairs just like that one. With some thought, the woodworker said "That'll be $300." The customer thought about that for a minute and said, "One chair is $50 but four are $300? How do you get to that price?" The woodworker replied, "Heck, building the first one was fun!"

Mike Henderson
    Tustin, CA

Hi Neighbor! Great work!!!!! Love the explination and welcome to the SMC Forum...
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Awesome design and work.

Absolutely excellent execution!
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Mike, to say that's a beautiful piece wouldn't be giving enough credit! Absolutely wonderful workmanship and, for no previous DT or carving work, that's astounding! Great job, to say the least! Oh yeah...And a warm welcome to the Creek, as well! Hope to "see" you around more often!

Hey Mark, isn't Tustin where Ryan and Jessica live???
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!