Thread: For the old timers

For the old timers

I realize this is a shot in the dark. In the early '80s, plans for a rearing rocking horse were published in one of the woodworking mags. In this design sheet metal was laminated between layers of wood. This gave enough strength so only the rear legs were joined to the rockers.
    Any information, however slight, will be greatly appreciated.
    Rollie

WOW ! I remember that, but have no idea where I saw it. I hope someone remembers, because I'm also interested in finding those plans, again.

Charley

I hve Woodsmith, Wood and Shop notes on DVD and I don't recall seeing it. Popular mechanics or fine woodworking maybe?

No, it wasn't FWW. Possibly PM or PS, although I was thinking it was a woodworking mag. Of course, I have slept since then!
    Thanks anyway,
    Rollie

Can't help you with the location of the original article, but with advances in technology, a laminated form out of hardwood and carbon fiber might work very well and you wouldn't have to worry about ruining blades and cutters on a metal sandwich.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Kelly View Post
    I realize this is a shot in the dark. In the early '80s, plans for a rearing rocking horse were published in one of the woodworking mags. In this design sheet metal was laminated between layers of wood. This gave enough strength so only the rear legs were joined to the rockers.
    Any information, however slight, will be greatly appreciated.
    Rollie
    I think you could do this easily with a third 'leg'. Maybe a strategically located column to support and stabilize the front of the rearing horse that was painted so as not to distract from the illusion of a beast standing on its hind legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I think you could do this easily with a third 'leg'. Maybe a strategically located column to support and stabilize the front of the rearing horse that was painted so as not to distract from the illusion of a beast standing on its hind legs.
    Breyer uses the tail as a "third leg" so to speak on some of their models to achive stability

A lot of good ideas to ponder.
    Thanks guys,
    Rollie