Thread: Whoops too orange. A Lockwood dye question

Whoops too orange. A Lockwood dye question

It's my first time using water soluble Lockwood dye and I've dyed a poplar bench too orange.

I'd like to move the color of the bench into a lighter brown and take out the sting of the orange.

I did a test piece and the color is dead on but I did a poor job of projecting the small test to a large object.

I applied the dye 2 days ago over Charles Neil's pre color conditioner.
    I used light golden brown walnut water soluble dye in a 2 teaspoons to 1 pint water mix. So there is a good amount of dye on the wood.

The only Lockwood dyes I have on hand that contain some cooler blue hues are antique mahogany and ebony black. I am open to purchasing more dye if I need to.

My questions:
    Will wiping the piece with a wet rag or brushing on water alone take out some of the dye and mute the light golden brown walnut dye?

Will brushing or wiping a watery mix of ebony, antique mahogany or another color shift the orange into brown?

Any other suggestions to achieve a lighter less orange color?

I was planning to use Prashun's wipe on poly recipe over the dyed bench in a week or so once it dries. There are less visible components I can test on but I wanted to see if I could get advice first.

Thank you for your time and any advice you can give me.

Evan
    Don't forget the struggle Don't forget the streets

If I were you, I'd try wiping with a water-wet rag. Yes, that will lift some of the dye out.

Adding brown on top will certainly help. However, you may still have an amber undertone that you may or may not like, and to compete with it you may have to add more brown than you really want to.

So, you have to test again.

You can use wood bleach or chlorine bleach to get much of the dye out if you want to be more aggressive.

If your color is only on the top, it may also just be easier for you to re-sand (or quicker, plane) the top

Blog Entries
    Definitely test this on the same material prepared the same way . . . blue will push orange colors towards brown. I have blue dye for just this purpose as a lot of mahogany is too orange for me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You can always sand the dye off and refinish with a new batch of dye. I had to do this with one piece of a project I dyed with some TransTint mixed in water over CN Blotch Control.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.