Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robust tool rest

Robust tool rest

I just bought my first Robust tool rest - the 14" J-shaped inside bowl model. The quality, craftmanship, and beefiness impressed me as soon as I saw it, but using it over the weekend made me really glad I bought it. I had planned on using it only on bowls, but I see it as my go-to rest, and probably the first of several Robust rests I plan to buy.

You really get what you pay for.

Robust rests are certainly well made and the "go to" rests for me. More often then not, you get what you pay for, and Robust usually delivers in everything they do.

3. Yep.......I like the Robust rests! I completely overhauled my toolrest inventory by purchasing 6 Robust rests about 6 weeks ago.....15" comfort rest, 14" j rest, 9" low profile rest, 6" low profile rest, 12" inside curve rest, 12" outside curve rest all custom length posts to fit my G0766 exactactly! I have upgraded my large lathe 3 times in the past 10 years, and some of the older ones I had were just a tad too short on the post....they would work, but I wanted more post down in the banjo.

I was able to sell my older Robust rests, and recoup about 1/2 what the new ones cost me, so I am good with that!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Hi Roger, what length did you have them make for the G0766?

5. Quote Originally Posted by lynn cranmer View Post
    Hi Roger, what length did you have them make for the G0766?
    8-3/4" total height -top of rest to bottom of post is the ideal median for the 22" swing G0766, but 8.50" will also work with plenty of post into the banjo.

Upgraded by Delta 46-460 rest to a Robust and was a much happier man for it. When I upgraded lathes, I had assumed that I would do the same thing again but found that I am pretty happy with the default PM 3520B rest (similar design to the Robust) so I never have. I've never used any rest but the default, come to think of it, and it has been a few years now.

I raised my Powermatic 90 for an 18" swing. I bought 5 tool rest from Robust. Inside, outside bowl, J rest, 12" and 6" comfort rests. I just called them and they did the math and made them with 1 1/8 post. I have only used them a little, but I really like them. Much better than what I had. Nice quality.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    I raised my Powermatic 90 for an 18" swing. I bought 5 tool rest from Robust. Inside, outside bowl, J rest, 12" and 6" comfort rests. I just called them and they did the math and made them with 1 1/8 post. I have only used them a little, but I really like them. Much better than what I had. Nice quality.
    This is a timely thread - I've been looking at tool rests and had decided on Robust for an inside and outside curve. But I have been unsure as to whether to get the standard or long post for my Nova 1624. Their matrix shows standard for all Nova lathes, though it doesn't list the 1624 specifically, and when I read the dimensions, it looks like the standard might not be quite long enough, and the long too long.

So they'll customize them to whatever length you need? I guess I should give them a call myself ;-)

The one I just got is standard, and I turn on a Nova 1624. You'll love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Grantham View Post
    This is a timely thread - I've been looking at tool rests and had decided on Robust for an inside and outside curve. But I have been unsure as to whether to get the standard or long post for my Nova 1624. Their matrix shows standard for all Nova lathes, though it doesn't list the 1624 specifically, and when I read the dimensions, it looks like the standard might not be quite long enough, and the long too long.

So they'll customize them to whatever length you need? I guess I should give them a call myself ;-)
    All I did was give them a call and told them I was raising my PM 90 3"". Of corse I mentioned the post size1 1/8, but they knew and figured everything else for me. Very easy for me and like others I really like them.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brouillette View Post
    The one I just got is standard, and I turn on a Nova 1624. You'll love it.
    Awesome, good to know! And you like the "J Rest" style?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Grantham View Post
    I finished off three 8'-10" bowls last weekend. I was very pleased with it. Very nice support where you need it.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Grantham View Post
    The "J" rest style is good for getting deep inside a vessel.....the reach inside allows for support of the tool close to the sides and bottom and helps eliminate chatter, which dramatically improves the cut.

Did you get 1" posts? or the size that comes with the 0766? (Can't remember the dia)
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brouillette View Post
    I finished off three 8'-10" bowls last weekend. I was very pleased with it. Very nice support where you need it.
    Tom (and others) - I was thinking of getting the inside curved rest for bowls but now I see the J-curved rest with your comments. If I'm just using the rest for just bowls would the J perform just as well as the curved?

Thanks