Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dutch chest? English chest? Wall cabinet? Shaker-style bench? Aaaagh!

Before you plan on making your bench shorter, give some thought as to what projects are in your future. I recall reading in one of the bench books that no one has ever complained that their bench is too long. Too wide, yes, too long no.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Before you plan on making your bench shorter, give some thought as to what projects are in your future. I recall reading in one of the bench books that no one has ever complained that their bench is too long. Too wide, yes, too long no.
    Yup! I was just out measuring. I can easily pull off 8' if it's against the wall, without running into doors or windows. If it's not, the only reasonable place to put it that doesn't block everything else limits it to 7' at the outside, and 6' would be better. That makes a wall-mounted cabinet easier, but I think I'd rather have that extra foot or two of length.

Now that I've got some accurate measurements I can start plotting everything out on graph paper and shuffling furniture around. The bikes need to be near where they are, or they won't be able to get out, which would kind of suck. There are possibilities for rearranging things on the shop side, though... some of the cabinetry is smaller than I thought.

Blog Entries
    One of my 'discoveries' in contemplating an all encompassing woodworking hand tool storage system is does not require having a lot of different tools at the bench at one time.

In my case it seems the tool storage will always be a few steps from my bench. This is one reason a tool well on the bench appeals to me.

The following may well be different for others way of working.

For my purpose a Dutch tool chest would be way to small.

My back would not abide a chest on the floor like the Anarchist Tool Chest.

I may do a few drawers under the bench. Currently my bench has a shelf for a few clamps, wedges, spare dogs and other items usually used on the bench. A few drawers low to the floor may be good for storing seldom used tools.

Most likely I will try to come up with a large wall unit with the ability to expand.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    One of my 'discoveries' in contemplating an all encompassing woodworking hand tool storage system is does not require having a lot of different tools at the bench at one time.

In my case it seems the tool storage will always be a few steps from my bench. This is one reason a tool well on the bench appeals to me.

The following may well be different for others way of working.

For my purpose a Dutch tool chest would be way to small.

My back would not abide a chest on the floor like the Anarchist Tool Chest.

I may do a few drawers under the bench. Currently my bench has a shelf for a few clamps, wedges, spare dogs and other items usually used on the bench. A few drawers low to the floor may be good for storing seldom used tools.

Most likely I will try to come up with a large wall unit with the ability to expand.

jtk
    I'm definitely leaning in the direction of a wall unit at the moment. That may change tomorrow, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McKenzie View Post
    How did you like the storage aspect of the Shaker bench?)
    Andy

I found the drawers and cabinet space in my Shaker bench to not be as useful as I had hoped they would be. I have built another workbench since then, and while it has a full width shelf underneath, I did not add drawers or cabinets.

If you do projects with large panels, you will likely need to access your bench from both sides. This messes with the Shaker workbench idea.

I found I work best with my tools stored opposite the workbench but within one step and arms reach. Shelves mounted above the bench when it is placed against the wall are fine too.

I go long periods of time without using my tools nowadays, and have lived in harsh climates (high heat/humidity/dusty/airborne salt) a lot, so I strongly dislike leaving my tools exposed on shelves. This means I need enclosed storage, the tighter the better.

Whichever method you choose, I recommend you put it on casters, as large as you can procure.

Also, if I may be free with one more piece of useless advice, I agree that it is sound policy to make shop equipment quick and cheap in a commercial situation. But if personal enjoyment is a more significant factor than profit in fabricating this shop equipment, you may regret not spending the extra time and money to make something more craftsman-like. All plywood eventually reverts to "plys" with time, and screws will never be seen as more than expedient rusty parts lacking beauty or any connection with craftsmanship or the ancient heritage of woodworking.

Solid wood, and floating panels, joined with mortises, rabbets, dovetails, etc. are not only pleasing to the eye, but endure for many generations. They also say something positive about the character of the man that made them, even if less than perfect.

Just my opinion.

Stan
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 05-09-2016 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Covington View Post
    If you are like most modern humans, the of amount junk (or tools, jigs, wood, finishing supplies, etc. in this case) you need to store will naturally and unavoidably expand over time in accordance with the law of sideways entropy to fill all available space. This is a little known facet of the Laws of Thermodynamics that explains why the Universe is expanding, but still doesn't have enough decent storage space. Just ask Scully.
    Stan
    I seem to be moving in a different direction Stanley; reverse entropy if you will (I have maxed out my sideways entropic capacity [or at least my wife thinks as much]).

Randy

Andy,

If you aren't in a hurry, "The Toolbox Book" by Jim Tolpin, is a great book on the exact subject you are discussing. It is a fun read, and reads fairly quickly, but it must have not sold extremely well, because I see used copies, hardbound in good shape, at very low prices. He has photos of mobile tool chests, discussions on the same, etc. Many of the boxes and chests he shows are primarily or only for hand tools. He also has photos and article on all kinds of other woodworking tool chests, cabinets, etc. Great pictures of some incredible chests, cabinets, carts, etc.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 05-10-2016 at 12:33 AM.

Agree w/ Stanley — Ars longa, vita brevis — which is carved on one of the chests featured in Tolpin’s book, which is an excellent resource on tool storage.

If you like the idea of fitted cabinets, then you might want to get the new book on the H. O. Studley tool cabinet: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,46132&p=73086

Ironically, the Lee Valley printed catalogue listing is more nicely turned out than the book though (they do a really, really good job on the catalogues — if they don’t enter them in design contests, they should). My observations/complaints are covered in two other threads here (as well as in the Lost Art Press blog comment section), but be warned, if you care about fine (micro) typography you’ll be annoyed by myriad widow(s)/orphan(s), incorrect math symbol usage, trapped white space, and inconsistent formatting.

There’s also one repeated photo which results in a missing photo, so one doesn’t get the image of the iconic pair of pliers which are prominently featured on the chest, as well as a couple of misspellings and grammar errors.

The index is also missing a bunch of entries, which detracts from the use of the book as a reference.
    Last edited by William Adams; 05-10-2016 at 9:57 AM.

I'm in the same boat and bouncing around a couple ideas maybe this will help you.

Its going to depend on personal taste, how anal one is about putting tools away, the nature of the project, size of workbench, etc.

The drawbacks of under-bench storage are obvious: 1) Remembering which drawer holds which tool, 2) drawers could be obstructed by clamps, boards, etc.

I couldn't work out of a chest. All that bending, searching, etc. Stuff would come out but wouldn't go back in until project completed.

I actually am building a chest similar to the Gerstner but 1/2 way through the build I realized it will be way too small so I am giving it to my wife for her tools and parts. She restores antique sewing machines.

Wall mounted cabinets are the way to go IMO. There are numbers of designs out there.

I have two benches in different parts of the shop its a pain keeping track of tools so one idea I am working on is a mobile tool cabinet. It will basically be a shortened version of wall-mounted type design in order to keep the center of gravity low.

One other idea is a small benchtop "tool till" that would hold chisels, combo squares, marking gauges, pencils, etc.
    I get really tired of having 3 or 4 chisels rolling around the bench - or falling on the floor (thank God for mats!).

Of course all of this relates to your methods of work and how diligent you are about putting tools away.

Me, I am not good at putting tools away. I waste tons of time looking for tools. I simply cannot train myself to keep my tape measure on my person, so I have one at every saw and even then, I loose them. I also tend to end up the the bench covered with tools and no room to work. I don't like wearing a shop apron.

Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post
    Ars longa, vita brevis
    Wow! Advanced physics, and Greek philosopy on Sawmill Creek! I feel so...... culturalized!

Andy

I found the drawers and cabinet space in my Shaker bench to not be as useful as I had hoped they would be. I have built another workbench since then, and while it has a full width shelf underneath, I did not add drawers or cabinets.

If you do projects with large panels, you will likely need to access your bench from both sides. This messes with the Shaker workbench idea.

I found I work best with my tools stored opposite the workbench but within one step and arms reach. Shelves mounted above the bench when it is placed against the wall are fine too.

I go long periods of time without using my tools nowadays, and have lived in harsh climates (high heat/humidity/dusty/airborne salt) a lot, so I strongly dislike leaving my tools exposed on shelves. This means I need enclosed storage, the tighter the better.

Whichever method you choose, I recommend you put it on casters, as large as you can procure.

Also, if I may be free with one more piece of useless advice, I agree that it is sound policy to make shop equipment quick and cheap in a commercial situation. But if personal enjoyment is a more significant factor than profit in fabricating this shop equipment, you may regret not spending the extra time and money to make something more craftsman-like. All plywood eventually reverts to "plys" with time, and screws will never be seen as more than expedient rusty parts lacking beauty or any connection with craftsmanship or the ancient heritage of woodworking.

Solid wood, and floating panels, joined with mortises, rabbets, dovetails, etc. are not only pleasing to the eye, but endure for many generations. They also say something positive about the character of the man that made them, even if less than perfect.

Just my opinion.

Stan
    Thanks! I was wondering about the storage... while it looks fantastic and useful, I was trying to figure out if it would actually be any good for tools. At the moment I'm thinking I might size the drawers for things like hardware (small drawers at the right end of the bench), fasteners, and power tools. I'm a lot less likely to need most of those things after I get a panel clamped up, so having them in the drawers shouldn't be so bad. I don't know, though... I know I don't want an open shelf, because I have a tendency to just pile things on open shelves until I can't find anything and stuff starts falling off.

Your argument against quick and cheap in every setting is pretty convincing... it's getting harder and harder to find good plywood, and I hadn't really thought about the lack of longevity. So thanks for that one, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Andy,

If you aren't in a hurry, "The Toolbox Book" by Jim Tolpin, is a great book on the exact subject you are discussing. It is a fun read, and reads fairly quickly, but it must have not sold extremely well, because I see used copies, hardbound in good shape, at very low prices. He has photos of mobile tool chests, discussions on the same, etc. Many of the boxes and chests he shows are primarily or only for hand tools. He also has photos and article on all kinds of other woodworking tool chests, cabinets, etc. Great pictures of some incredible chests, cabinets, carts, etc.

Stew
    Have it, read it, loved it. That and Landis' "Workbench Book" have been sitting on my nightstand for a few weeks where I can looking things up as they occur to me at night.

Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post
    Agree w/ Stanley — Ars longa, vita brevis — which is carved on one of the chests featured in Tolpin’s book, which is an excellent resource on tool storage.

If you like the idea of fitted cabinets, then you might want to get the new book on the H. O. Studley tool cabinet: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,46132&p=73086
    Fitted cabinets are not gonna happen. Partly because I know my tool set is going to change over time, partly because I don't have anywhere near the patience to do something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    I'm in the same boat and bouncing around a couple ideas maybe this will help you.

Its going to depend on personal taste, how anal one is about putting tools away, the nature of the project, size of workbench, etc.

The drawbacks of under-bench storage are obvious: 1) Remembering which drawer holds which tool, 2) drawers could be obstructed by clamps, boards, etc.

I couldn't work out of a chest. All that bending, searching, etc. Stuff would come out but wouldn't go back in until project completed.

I actually am building a chest similar to the Gerstner but 1/2 way through the build I realized it will be way too small so I am giving it to my wife for her tools and parts. She restores antique sewing machines.

Wall mounted cabinets are the way to go IMO. There are numbers of designs out there.

I have two benches in different parts of the shop its a pain keeping track of tools so one idea I am working on is a mobile tool cabinet. It will basically be a shortened version of wall-mounted type design in order to keep the center of gravity low.

One other idea is a small benchtop "tool till" that would hold chisels, combo squares, marking gauges, pencils, etc.
    I get really tired of having 3 or 4 chisels rolling around the bench - or falling on the floor (thank God for mats!).

Of course all of this relates to your methods of work and how diligent you are about putting tools away.

Me, I am not good at putting tools away. I waste tons of time looking for tools. I simply cannot train myself to keep my tape measure on my person, so I have one at every saw and even then, I loose them. I also tend to end up the the bench covered with tools and no room to work. I don't like wearing a shop apron.
    Thanks! I have a "short term storage" rack on my bench now, which is fantastic. After an incident with a chisel in November (pro-tip: Don't try to catch the screwdriver rolling off your bench. It might actually be a chisel), I (almost) always use it for tools that aren't in my hand already. I've gotten a lot better at actually putting the tools away when I'm done, too.

I've also discovered I love having a shop apron, if it's not the kind that loops around my neck. I have one of the Duluth Trading Co "Improved" aprons, which I love. It maybe has too many pockets, but I just don't use all of them.

Thanks again to everyone... I still haven't made a decision, so more opinions are welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McKenzie View Post
    Thanks! I was wondering about the storage... while it looks fantastic and useful, I was trying to figure out if it would actually be any good for tools. At the moment I'm thinking I might size the drawers for things like hardware (small drawers at the right end of the bench), fasteners, and power tools. I'm a lot less likely to need most of those things after I get a panel clamped up, so having them in the drawers shouldn't be so bad. I don't know, though... I know I don't want an open shelf, because I have a tendency to just pile things on open shelves until I can't find anything and stuff starts falling off.

Your argument against quick and cheap in every setting is pretty convincing... it's getting harder and harder to find good plywood, and I hadn't really thought about the lack of longevity. So thanks for that one, too!
    No problemo. I guess it all depends on how you end up using the drawers and cabinets. Most of mine ended up being junk drawers, or places for stockpiling supplies like sandpaper and hardware. They didn't work well for tools in my case. Dovetailed tigerstripe maple drawers and linenfold carved end panels were wasted on sandpaper and hardware storage.

No problemo. I guess it all depends on how you end up using the drawers and cabinets. Most of mine ended up being junk drawers, or places for stockpiling supplies like sandpaper and hardware. They didn't work well for tools in my case. Dovetailed tigerstripe maple drawers and linenfold carved end panels were wasted on sandpaper and hardware storage.
    Hah. Yeah, I'll be going plain and cheap. I might go for poplar or fir over pine, because it's not much more expensive and it might last a little longer, but I won't be using any fancy wood.

Thanks again!

FWIW, that was Latin, though as I guess you were indicating, came from the Greek: Ὁ βίος βραχύς,ἡ δὲ τέχνη μακρή, --- the first two lines of the Aphorismi by the Hippocrates.
    Last edited by William Adams; 05-10-2016 at 10:03 AM.