Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital calipers.....

Digital calipers.....

I've been hunting a digital caliper, everything I've found reads both metric and English, both in decimals. You need a conversion chart to go from decimal inches to fractions. Anyone know of a source for a reasonably priced digital caliper that reads out in fractions? They do it on the Wixey digital for planers ( http://www.wixey.com/ ) , so I know it can be done (and to me the Wixey is reasonably priced!).
    Last edited by Tony Falotico; 09-19-2005 at 10:02 PM. Reason: clarification
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falotico
    I've been hunting a digital caliper, everything I've found reads both metric and English, both in decimals. You need a conversion chart to go from decimal inches to fractions. Anyone know of a source for a reasonably priced digital caliper that reads out in fractions? They do it on the Wixey digital for planers ( http://www.wixey.com/ ) , so I know it can be done (and to me the Wixey is reasonably priced!).
    Check out Amazon...

<TABLE cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>2.</TD><TD align=middle> </TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%">Avenger MC0006 6" Digital Caliper with Large Display
    Avg. Customer Rating:
    <NOBR><SCRIPT language=Javascript1.1 type=text/javascript><!--var bulbimg = "";var tooltip = "Click to rate this item.";var whyWindowUrl = "/exec/obidos/tg/stores/recs/rate-this-asin/-/B00008NFDO/rate/ref=pd_rate_lk_rate_search/102-7156255-1576910";var whyLinkText = "Rate this item";var trailingParen = "";amz_js_WriteRatingsLink()//--></SCRIPT>(Rate this item) </NOBR>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Usually ships in 24 hours
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="50%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=small vAlign=top noWrap align=right>List Price:</TD><TD> </TD><TD class=small><STRIKE>$44.00</STRIKE> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=small vAlign=top align=right>Buy new:</TD><TD> </TD><TD class=small>$34.94 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top width="50%">Used & new from $19.99 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>3.</TD><TD align=middle> </TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%">Avenger MC0008 8" Digital Caliper with Large Display
    <NOBR><SCRIPT language=Javascript1.1 type=text/javascript><!--var bulbimg = "";var tooltip = "Click to rate this item.";var whyWindowUrl = "/exec/obidos/tg/stores/recs/rate-this-asin/-/B00008NFDP/rate/ref=pd_rate_lk_rate_search/102-7156255-1576910";var whyLinkText = "Rate this item";var trailingParen = "";amz_js_WriteRatingsLink()//--></SCRIPT>(Rate this item) </NOBR>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="50%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=small vAlign=top noWrap align=right>List Price:</TD><TD> </TD><TD class=small><STRIKE>$58.00</STRIKE> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=small vAlign=top align=right>Buy new:</TD><TD> </TD><TD class=small>$39.94 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top width="50%">Used & new from $37.99 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>4.</TD><TD align=middle> </TD><TD vAlign=top width="100%">Avenger MC0012 12" Digital Caliper with Large Display
    Avg. Customer Rating:
    <NOBR><SCRIPT language=Javascript1.1 type=text/javascript><!--var bulbimg = "";var tooltip = "Click to rate this item.";var whyWindowUrl = "/exec/obidos/tg/stores/recs/rate-this-asin/-/B00008NFDQ/rate/ref=pd_rate_lk_rate_search/102-7156255-1576910";var whyLinkText = "Rate this item";var trailingParen = "";amz_js_WriteRatingsLink()//--></SCRIPT>(Rate this item) </NOBR>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="50%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=small vAlign=top noWrap align=right>List Price:</TD><TD> </TD><TD class=small><STRIKE>$90.00</STRIKE> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=small vAlign=top align=right>Buy new:</TD><TD> </TD><TD class=small>$59.94 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD vAlign=top width="50%">Used & new from $39.99 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Thanks Glenn -- but

all those read out decimal inches (ie 1.500" , 1.7508") . I'm looking for one that reads out in fractions like the Wixey planner gage 1.5000 1/2" 1.7500 3/4"
    Tony

all those read out decimal inches (ie 1.500" , 1.7508") . I'm looking for one that reads out in fractions like the Wixey planner gage 1.5000 1/2" 1.7500 3/4"
    OPPS!too quick on th etrigger..try this one...
    Avenger Products MCDF00006 6" Stainless Steel Dial Calipers (English)
    Other products by Avenger Products

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=small vAlign=top noWrap align=right>List Price:</TD><TD> </TD><TD class=small><STRIKE>$34.00</STRIKE> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=small vAlign=top noWrap align=right>Price:</TD><TD> </TD><TD class=small>$29.99 and this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. See details. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=small vAlign=top noWrap align=right>You Save:</TD><TD> </TD><TD class=small>$4.01 (12%) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Features:
    • <LI class=small>Accuracy .001" over 6" travel <LI class=small>Continuous dial reads 0 - 100 with a scale of 0 - 1" marked in 1/64" increments <LI class=small>Direct reading .001" <LI class=small>Positive lever lock
    • 4 way measurement: Inside, Outside, Depth and Step
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I've yet to find a digital caliper that reads in fractions. (I have an "analog" dial unit like Glenn shows from Lee Valley that I use instead)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I've yet to find a digital caliper that reads in fractions.

That's what I thought , but you never know if you don't ask. Guess I'll just go with the dial type.

Anybody from WIXEY a member here ?? Hint..Hint...

Thanks Glenn & Jim for the replys.
    Tony

Actualy Barry Wixey is a member here and posted a on the general forum a few days ago. He also has a planer list under the clasified adds. here is a link.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ighlight=wixey
    Last edited by Don Baer; 09-20-2005 at 1:08 PM.

That's what I thought , but you never know if you don't ask. Guess I'll just go with the dial type.

Anybody from WIXEY a member here ?? Hint..Hint...

Thanks Glenn & Jim for the replys.
    Tony,

I've fought this fight and in a matter of a few days? You'll know what the decimal equiv's are. I've gotten pretty good at it.

.0312 is 1/32"
    .0625 is 1/16"
    .125 is 1/8"
    .1875 is 3/16"
    .250 is 1/4"
    .3125 is 5/16"
    .375 is 3/8"
    .4375 is 7/16"
    .500 is 1/2"
    etc, etc, etc......
    Standard dial calipers are both decimal and fractional. Maybe Wixey will make some calipers that are digital AND fractional.

My CAD program is in decimal as well.....so my drawings and my calipers match.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Hey Tony;

You are not the first one looking for these. I was hesitating to reply to this thread becasue I don't want to be advertising here, just exchanging information and getting good feedback for product design. So on that note, there will be Wixey brand digital calipers with fractions available soon. They will use the same logic as in our planer kits. Actually they should have been here this summer but are a bit behind schedule.

It's good to know there is a need for this type of product!

Barry

Thank You Barry...

I knew if you did it on the planer it could be done......... I'll be anxiously awaiting their arrival, But do keep 'em reasonably priced please !!

Thanks again for responding Barry.

Dennis -- A buddy at work and I developed a chart of decimal / fractional equivalents, well actually two charts -- one to 32's and one to 64th's. Made 'em with color bands so they are easier to read. I'm in need a good caliper, so I figured as long as I'm getting one might as well make it as easy for myself as possible. Been suffering from CRS lately (Can't Remember Stuff).
    Tony

I hear ya Tony......My head hurts sometimes when trying to convert some funky decimal number to a fractional measurement. So I guess close and move on. I guess I'll await the Digital Fractional Calipers as well.

Thanks Barry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Tony,

Can't help with the fractional calipers, but here's a decent decimal/fraction chart. IMO, it's actually easier to use decimals once you get used to it and memorize the basic siezes down to about 1/8". Much easier to add .3250 & .0156 in your head than 3/8" & 1/64" IMO, or maybe it's just the machinest in me. Even fractions on the 64th (.0156) range are still fairly large when you consider the average human finger can feel .005" variations with little difficulty.

Just my .02 cents

Mike

Decinal Equivilent Chart.gif

I saw somewhere else too, Lee Vally maybe. hard to say there are so many catologs in the "library"

Or you can print out this XLS spread sheet

Got beat to it!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Someone else beat me to it, but here is a couple more ...

http://www.progresstool.com/pd_digital_caliper.cfm#

Here is another one that goes down to 1/128"

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12270
    Last edited by Jeff Pilcher; 12-12-2006 at 10:58 AM.
    Jeff