• Normal

31 33.70%
  • Overweight

26 28.26%
  • Obese

30 32.61%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weight (BMI) Poll

BMI is a crock as it has no provision for body shape. My Grandson when he was playing football was 6' 8" and 345# and was classified obese. His measured body fat was below 5%. Since he quit playing football he is down about 75# and still almost obese. He is solid as a rock!

First time anyone, organization or poll has called/classified me as "normal". Not sure about celebrating this moment, but what the heck, YIPPEE?

I am classified as obese. It says that my ideal weight is 122-164. Ha!!!! I haven't weighed anywhere close to that since junior high. Played basketball, football, tennis, baseball, varsity ball, weight lifted, and pumped iron like there was no tomorrow. I benched a max of 575 and a clean snatch of 280. Now, at 56, I look like I might could bench a pillow and snatch a pack of crackers off the middle shelf.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Damm View Post
    BMI is a crock as it has no provision for body shape. My Grandson when he was playing football was 6' 8" and 345# and was classified obese. His measured body fat was below 5%. Since he quit playing football he is down about 75# and still almost obese. He is solid as a rock!
    I'm sort of thinking that BMI as a measure of health is like megapixels when comparing camera quality. One data point but hardly the only one or (arguably) the most important. But in the minute media they only have time for one number .

If BMI is such a crock, don't you think physicians and the CDC wouldn't use it at all? It's a quick and easy screening to get an idea of where you're at - yes there are exceptions but for most people it works.

For those that mentioned linemen and such - just because they're big and strong doesn't mean it's healthy. A lot (all?) ex-nfl linemen have serious joint issues from their bones carrying around all that weight and slamming into other giant men.

Interesting poll results so far - almost 1/3 of us are overweight and 1/3 obese.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Interesting poll results so far - almost 1/3 of us are overweight and 1/3 obese.
    I agree. It almost makes we wonder if this BMI index has been around since the 50's and no one has bothered to validate it. I feel much better knowing that I'm in the same boat as so many fine folks on this forum.

Guys, do a web search and use one of the calculators that goes on wrist or elbow size. This method is much more accurate. The BMI seems to be designed to make us feel guilty about nothing. Mine came in at 21.6 and normal - ha ha

My personal feeling is that the trend of obesity in the US (and by that, I mean being overweight to the point that it causes health issues rather than just a cosmetic spare tire or love handles) is a result of inactivity and a diet of highly processed foods. A number fo the Italians have told me, for example, that they immediately start putting on weight if they spend any amount of time here in the states. Unlike Europe, you aren't able to really walk anywhere unless you happen to be in a major city and also, the options for quality foods are really limited. Every territory rep I know, for example, has a big belly. Why? Because most of their time is spent on a plane or in a car and also, when you roll into town at the odd hours that you do, what are your options? Fast food, more than likely. I'm not saying that you can't make the decision to exercise according to your lifestyle but on the other hand, I empathize with those guys because it's an uphill battle to stay physcially active and have access to quality food when you travel a lot or when you don't live near a grocery store.

What I see from the professional fitness side of things is that the "gym culture" often drives people away from staying fit, which is the other end of the spectrum. Gyms push this "all in" type of mentality, where that in order to be fit, you need to be working out six days a week, starving yourself, be some crossfit maniac, etc. And for the person who is not in great shape or who is self-conscious, who wants to do that? You need to find the middle ground and make it do-able. Just getting up and walking every day makes a huge difference. Some regular physical activity every day. Get up and walk at lunch, walk before work, walk after, that sort of thing. Go up and down some stairs if you can. My wife has a Fit Bit and tracks her steps. Stuff like that.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

By wrist and elbow size.....my ideal weight is 171, which is what I weighed in the 10th grade. Is everybody supposed to be super skinny? I know a few people that meet these specifications and they look anorexic.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I don't need BMI to know that I'm overweight. When I want to feel good about it I go to Cracker Barrel where most of their customers are obese.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    I remember reading that George Foreman at his most fit would have come in obese. The point here is that there are many factors other than just height and weight. A prime factor is visceral fat versus the fat you see. The visceral fat is the stuff between your organs on the inside. You can look really skinny and be in danger from visceral fat. The only way to cut down on that stuff is to exercise. The only way to detect that stuff is with a scan.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    According to the BMI scale, I'm "overweight": 6'1", 195lbs. And I teach fitness classes at a local gym. The issue is that the scale doesn't factor in people who are muscular.

Erik

Same issue here. BMI doesn't work well for folks with a bit of muscle and it doesn't even take much to tip it high.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Same issue here. BMI doesn't work well for folks with a bit of muscle and it doesn't even take much to tip it high.
    My upper body is not very muscular at all. Fit, but not muscular. All my mass is in my thighs and glutes, from cycling. I wear cargo shorts most of the time, so I look like I probably weight 20 lbs. less than I actually do. if I quite riding, I'd probably drop back down to 175lbs., but would be in nowhere near as good physical condition. The whole body image thing is really its own worst enemy.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

My doctors says I'm a little "Height Challenged". Oh well everyone seems to have some "Challenge" these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I don't need BMI to know that I'm overweight. When I want to feel good about it I go to Cracker Barrel where most of their customers are obese.

Walmart works for me and they're easier to find . I know about the stereotypes but around here at least there seems to be some basis for that stereotype.