Thread: Ok guy`s I`m down to Two

Ok guy`s I`m down to Two

I know this has been hashed out before, however. I am down to either the Trent Bosch Hollowing system or the Monster Hollowing System. Any and all input from those of you that have them or have used them is Greatly appreciated!
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

I see no one has responded - thought I'd bump this with a couple of comments that may or may not be helpful to you!

Anyway, I live a few miles from Trent Bosch and we attend the same woodturning club. He is a great guy, I have been in his well appointed shop and have been impressed with his workmanship, skill, and personability. I've got a few of his tools, although I have not used his hollowing tool. The tools I have are hand-made and work very well.

I work just a few miles from Monster Tools. I have zero experience with them other than seeing them at our local woodturning symposium. The hollowing tools looked well made and seemed to have been well designed. The big plus on these is that they are tried and true and people seem to really like them.

Hope that helps just a little!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

I think that this is one of those 49 to 51 decisions. That is, they are very close in merit, both work well, and it doesn't really matter which one you choose. Either one would be fine.

I like the way that the Trent Bosch system can be so quickly removed from the lathe. But the geometry of the Monster looks like it would be a bit more solid.

I built my own for $10 of steel and it mounts in an extra banjo banjo, so that it can be removed as fast as the Bosch system. But it is largely based on the Monster Hollower or the castelin "Snake Hollower". It is beefy and has a lot of mass.

But making your own requires different tools and skills than for wood turning.

If I was going to buy one, I slightly lean towards the monster design. But again, either choice would be a good one.

One word of advice - if you go with the Monster system get everything you need. They have had problems since the founder died and had stopped making tools. They hopefully are back in business for the long run, but only time will tell.

BTW Monster makes both an articulated system and a captured system and sell each separately or as a complete package.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

OK after a PM or two here I decided to step Up and buy a Gizmo. I think this was the best decision as the company is good and Tom is very helpful. Can`t wait to get it! I have a "few" large pieces of mesquite and acacia just calling gizmo.....gizmo.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    One word of advice - if you go with the Monster system get everything you need. They have had problems since the founder died and had stopped making tools. They hopefully are back in business for the long run, but only time will tell.

BTW Monster makes both an articulated system and a captured system and sell each separately or as a complete package.

Died? I thought he retired.

anyway, the current owner (Todd) is son-in-law to the previous owner I believe. So far, he seems to be doing OK

Blog Entries
    I got the Trent Bosch 3/4" hollowing stablizer so I can hollow at the end of the lathe. I have arthritis throughout my lower lumbar region. Every little bit helps.
    - It is quick and easy to setup.
    - Can take upto 1" hollowing bar. U must ask for the 1" adapter.
    - Hollowing at end of lathe (much less bending over & your standing out of the firing line)
    - Easy to store in tool box
    - Can add tool handle (I typically use without handle unless hollowing deep)
    - Has adapters for different size tools
    - Did I mention hollowing at the end of the lathe? It is a treat.

all the best
    curt

I know the OP only asked about Monster and Bosch, but has anybody tried a Lyle Jamieson?

Have a Jamieson, bought it for the extra length. Like it.