Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw (G01514X2) vibration help

Bandsaw (G01514X2) vibration help

I need help trying to rid my bandsaw of vibration. Really vibration is too kind of a term, my saw has what I would call a severe shuddering! If you'll entertain me I will attempt to link to a few videos of the saw running. They're less than a minute total. This is running with a brand new 3/4" wood slicer blade. As you can see I'm so far from even attempting a nickel test it's crazy!

https://youtu.be/nnyKpIPoRec

https://youtu.be/TSxZjJpyWmg

Video 3

Here's what I've done so far:
    -Replaced both tires. No difference at all.
    -Replaced original belt with new "link belt". This helped a fair amount with the vibration and the saw is much quieter.
    -Took saw off mobile base and set on concrete and leveled. This helped as well.

However the videos show how much vibration I'm getting now. I think the problem must be with the upper wheel but I don't know what to do about it or how to diagnose it. Without a blade on the saw runs fine. Just motor, minimal vibration. Motor and lower wheel, minimal vibration. Put any blade on and all hell break lose!

I've waited so long to deal with this there isn't any warranty left on the saw. I wold appreciate any help you can give. I'm about out of aces and I'd really like to get this thing running so i can use it to it's potential.

Thanks!
    Marc

Not an expert but I think you diagnosis about the upper wheel is correct. Did you get this new or used? Has it always been like this or did this develop over time?

Dumb question #1:

Have you tested the vibration with 2-3 different blades?

I haven't actually measured with different blades, but by eye and feel different blades make no difference. That's actually why I ordered the wood slicer, all my other blades were bought from the same supplier so I thought they all may have shared a common defect. That seems not to be the case.

@Frank, I am the original owner. It has always had a vibration but it seems worse now. I figured all along it was just because I had it on a mobile base that didn't provide enough support. I wish (obviously) I had dealt with this sooner while the saw still had a warranty but between work, a new kid, and life in general that didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    ...Have you tested the vibration with 2-3 different blades?
    DING-DING-DING-DING!!!

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I'm no machinist but the first thing I would check is to see if the top wheel is bent or the top wheel shaft is bent. If the bottom half is running correctly it sounds like the top wheel is the issue.

I've tried to check it for balance and it doesn't seem to be stopping in the same place all the time. I'll check the shaft when I get home tonight.

This should be a video of it running with a blade.
    https://youtu.be/FYHujpnRMvs

Check if the pulleys and wheels have the shaft holes centered and are correctly sized. My old Delta's original upper pulley shaft hole was slightly oversized. That made it wobble and vibrate so that the set screw would loosen, the woodruff key fall out, then the pulley would spin on the shaft. I replaced it, but still have some vibration. I've wondered if the wheels and their shaft holes aren't concentric.

Am I to assume you have all this vibration before setting the upper/lower guides into place? By the way...... that thing is noisy without the blade.... too much for me.
    Last edited by Bill Orbine; 05-11-2016 at 8:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    It looks like your blade is fluttering. I set my tension using the flutter method and if I am too tight or too loose, it look pretty much like that. Have you loosened the blade tension and walked it back up through a higher tension? My G0513X is so smooth I sometimes leave it running without realizing it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

One more thing to check is how the saw stits on the floor.If it twisting the base that not good.
    Or maybe the base has a twist and doesn't sit flat.
    Bandsaws are a pain.

Have you verified that the wheels are coplanar? If they are not it could cause the blade to dance a bit and I suppose it could cause vibration too.
    Do you have a jointer? Joint a 2x4 perfectly straight, remove the table and the blade, and hold the 2x4 flat against the lower wheel. Then adjust the attitude of the upper wheel shaft until the 2x4 lays flat against both wheels.

I have an 0513x2 and it is smooth as silk, so I'm sure your saw could be tuned to run smooth and vibration free.
    Last edited by brian zawatsky; 05-11-2016 at 9:56 PM.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

My grizzly did that. I tried everything I could think...

I fixed it when someone suggested I needed to tighten up the bolt that holds the wheel on to the motor shaft... Sure enough, that sucker was loose. Mine ran fine without the blade on also... THe tension from the blade was pulling the lower wheel loose...

I never would have thought it shipped from factory with a loose wheel on the motor shaft (Whatever its called)... But it did.

Please forgive me if these are obvious, or already done:
    1) Do you get less vibration if running with no blade installed? If so, either bad blade or top wheel issue. If still vibration, top wheel and blade are okay.
    2) Are the motor shaft and pulley running true (no bent shaft, pulley not off center)?
    3) Are the motor and lower wheel pulleys aligned (coplanar?)
    4) Have you checked the lower wheel for balance (without blade or belt attached, duh!)?
    5) Are the lower wheel shaft adjustment screws tight?

I took the wheel off and the bearings feel smooth, no grinding or crunching. I took a video of the top shaft. Should this be as loose as it is? I realize the wheel needs to tilt to adjust tracking but should it move side to side like that?

https://youtu.be/s4BkQKJYkCQ

Again, I appreciate all the suggestions y'all are giving me.