Thread: 52" wide belt sander DC question

52" wide belt sander DC question

I acquired a 52" timesaver dual head sander. Think it has two 8" hoses out of top and I was told it would convert into a 12 inch hose where the two meet. Anyone know the hp dust collector I would need? Someone said 15hp , largest one grizzly sells is 10hp and they sell a 51" sander dual head. So ...looking for expert advice.
    Compressor size I think will depend whether it has a digital eye or air controlled. I'm not sure what it has.

Also don't know how to tell if it has soft starts. I know it's model 352-2 with a 40 hp first head and second 25hp. Maybe 1986.

Thanks in advance.

You can call up timesavers and ask them about your machine. They should have CFM requirements as well as the motor info you are looking for. I have talked to them a few times about my 137-1hd and they were helpful. I wish I had a 52! Don't have the power to start one at the moment.

I have a 43" SCM dual head. it has 2 x 6" and 2 x 5" hood. the CFM requirement stated on the user manual is 6500 m3/hr or 3800 CFM @ 28m/s or 5500 fpm. Thats about 15hp... if 20m/s or 4000fpm is assumed, then a 10HP should be enough.

HOWEVER, I have been using a 5hp and I am not getting a lot of dust from it... been sanding 43" wide panels. Maybe because the machine sits less than 6' from the extractor.

An 8" pipe flows 1570 cfm at 4500 fpm. A 12" will work well as it is 3600 cfm at 4500 fpm.

You're going to need a fan that flows at least 5000 cfm. Once you get filters you'll probably be about where you need to be.

I use a 7.5 hp Coral direct four top bag unit with oversize bags ( 8' high )from American Fabric Filter on my 2 head 43". If the collector is dedicated and close to the machine and there is no cyclone and plenty of surface area on the filters, it is adequate as you will pull 2500-3000 cfm. Look at Belfab, Coral, and Dustek or any commercial multibag collector. If in a commercial high use environment, an automatic pulse jet or shaker collector is best. I'm not a heavy user so I just bag the bags every time I run it. If you intend to hog off all the motors can handle, you will likely need a 10 hp, Dave

A Dustek four bag with 15hp has a 14" inlet. The 10hp has a 12" inlet, but I wouldn't skimp on dust collection on a widebelt. Whatever you save in dust collection costs will be quickly offset by the lifespan of your belts being reduced GREATLY. You're better off going a bit overboard and burning up a little more electricity. I'm running the bare minimum on my 43" dual head, my belts don't last long despite buying good abrasives. The more air you move through that baby the better. Plus heat extraction is another huge factor. I've got a 20hp, 6000cfm, Murphy Rodgers baghouse waiting for the new shop. I'm curious how big of an improvement that will be in relation to the widebelt for life of the belts, scratch, and material clinging to the parts being sanded. I'm using a pair of Powermatic 3hp, 1900 cfm, two bag collectors on mine. One to each head with 8" pipe all the way to each 7" port, with it necked down right at the machine. It's barely adequate, there's realistically a little over 1000cfm going to each head. It should be at least 1200 going to each head. Plus the widebelt is also at the very end of the ducting runs. Less than ideal.

The Dustek collectors are a really good value. They seem to pull big money on the used market compared to other similar sized units. I debated about buying a couple for the new shop, but that Murphy-Rodgers unit popped up locally and for a good price, I just couldn't say no.

Dantherm/DISA S750 for my 2-head 43" is adequate. I would think a dedicated 7.5 to 10HP with good cloth:air ratio would be fine for a 2-head 52".
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    Dantherm/DISA S750 for my 2-head 43" is adequate. I would think a dedicated 7.5 to 10HP with good cloth:air ratio would be fine for a 2-head 52".

That company changed hands again. Nederman now. They're really well made, and have an excellent cloth to air ratio. The shop next door to me has one, I don't know which size though. I know it's got enough suction that one of the guys dropped the stabilizer washer from a Delta tablesaw into the saw while changing the blade one day and it made it all the way to the fan with a horrific bang. 10hp model is $8500 new.

I have a 43" Timesaver single head and it's on a 8" drop IIRC. It's hooked up to the shop system however which means at the very least there's one other 8" main open at the same time. I run a 7-1/2hp Torit which handles all my needs. 15 hp sounds a bit overkill to me

good luck,
    JeffD

Things I've never heard in a cabinet shop:

1. We've got just too much space.
    2. That sand paper lasted too long.
    3. I'm sure glad the nail gun is out of nails.
    4. Can we build this so it's heavier?
    5. Good news, we're out of toilet paper.
    6. Dang it, we're out of sawdust again.
    7. Awesome, the bags for the dust collector are full again.
    8. This chisel is way too sharp.
    9. Can I get my pay lowered?
    10. We've got way too much dust collection.

Growing into overkill is easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Things I've never heard in a cabinet shop:

1. We've got just too much space.
    2. That sand paper lasted too long.
    3. I'm sure glad the nail gun is out of nails.
    4. Can we build this so it's heavier?
    5. Good news, we're out of toilet paper.
    6. Dang it, we're out of sawdust again.
    7. Awesome, the bags for the dust collector are full again.
    8. This chisel is way too sharp.
    9. Can I get my pay lowered?
    10. We've got way too much dust collection.

Growing into overkill is easy.
    On site during installation one of the trim carpenters asked to borrow a chisel. He complained and asked me why my chisel was so sharp...
    -Lud

I think a 10 HP would be fine and with the right fan and cloth area 7.5 might work. Cloth area is important and not all fans are created equal. We replaced a 15HP MR MRM bag house with twin 10 HP Belfab Hummer fans sharing the same bag house. These units are 4500 CFM each compared to the 3600 or 3800 that the MRM delivered. They are noticeably better and we could run our downsized production now with just one 10 HP unit. The MRMs are lacking filter area and the fan not so efficient.

We run a 3 head 42" WBS and the dust pickup is great. 10 HP does pretty well with our 4 head S$S - moulder also.

It does not take a big air compressor to run a WBS. Just make sure it is clean and has a drier or you will have problems down the road.
    Last edited by Joe Calhoon; 05-13-2016 at 7:23 PM.

Thanks for all the great tips. Hope to have running in August. Waiting on power company, kinda like watching paint dry with them.