Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those that want the best of everything - here's a grinder that beats them all

For those that want the best of everything - here's a grinder that beats them all

I'm on my third incarnation of this type of grinder, built the first one about 30 years ago and can attest it's by far the best grinding system out there for grinding tools. It's a truly slow speed grinder, unlike the rubbish being pawned as slow speed but spin at 1700rpms. The one on the site has a range of 200 - 2000. When you grind at 300rpm or below it's a very different experience that makes grinding extremely easy for even the klutziest person. Definitely looks like a well put together system, much more refined and compact than mine. The one on the site has a couple draw backs: It's relatively expensive, and it only grinds. My latest incarnation cost about $350 and grinds and hones pretty much any type of blade.

http://cuttermasters.com/specialty-g...-tool-grinder/

I have no affiliation. Who cares if I did. It's still the best grinder you can buy for sharpening your tools
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

You have a weird sense of humour Brian.

About Brian Ashton

Biography:Lived most of my life on the West Coast of Canada, got bored, ripped everything up and moved to the other side of the globe, to a quaint little convict out post called Australia. Revision: Well got sick of the convicts and pulled it all up again and moved to the UK. Edit 2: Decided I needed another challenge and am now on my way somewhere else. I should've been a fugitive… At least I could justify this need to keep on the move.
    Animals I voluntarily share my existence with: 1 wife (yes technically she is an animal - though I suspect she'll strongly disagree) and 1 brain damaged cat (Yes he really is. He's 12 years old and still acts like a kitten). Both the wife and the cat are getting tired of moving.
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 05-15-2016 at 8:54 AM.

Well, I suppose, when you have the money and don't know what to do with it....

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Stewie Simpson;2565107]You have a weird sense of humour Brian.

You can tell that by his location.

I like it alot.But if I had that kind of money I hire someone to make my furniture while I helicopter over them.

Tormek and CBN wheel for it is about 1K. So cuttermaster seems to be in the ballpark.

Tormek is pretty far out of my comfort zone too.

In the videos the grinder sure does slow down when the tool is applied.

Bet that thing would work really great with the $4000 BCT smoother.

Sadly, I can't easily afford either one.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Hey Brian! I'm interested in being interested too! Looks like we share a lot of interests.

Sorry to get off-topic, but! Would you happen to also be one of those souls who is interested in everything under the sun; a jack of all trades, master of none? Or does this circular logic propel you deeper down the same hole, fixated on the same goal? (Ok - I should probably stop with the rhyming :P)

I like to think breadth of knowledge cultivates a well-rounded understanding of the world, and informs us of greater truths and principles that come with that perspective. A "not missing the forest for the trees" kind of thing. But, maybe that's just my excuse for not sticking with anything long enough to become really and truly good at it

Anyway, I'm aware that I'm probably drifting further and further off topic, if not off the mark entirely here, so:

Do you prefer to use a grinder for rough-shaping in general sharpening? I've never used one, but I'm curious to hear the merits. Looks kind of intimidating; it seems like it would be easy to mess up if you're not careful/experienced. A concave bevel is kind of appealing though.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    In the videos the grinder sure does slow down when the tool is applied.
    Well I might have to retract my endorsement on it then. Saw couple vids but didn't notice any bogging down. The concept is good but maybe the motor is not up to it.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Really,my old 1963 $40.00 Sears grinder has more oomph. And,it's arbors have always run true. Plus,the tool rests are a great deal more adjustable.

This grinder is probably a wonderfully made piece of equipment, however it appears to me to be another attempt to remove the need for skill from the operator. To me the point of hand tool working is to develop skill. It's kind of like a computerized carving machine, if anybody can do it, are you a good carver or a good programmer, neither is wrong it's just what you choose to be. I to, use an old Sears grinder with a grey wheel, not because I'm so skilled, but because I think skill is cumulative and it improves ability in other areas as well. As the level of the skill declines so does the value of the work.

Ron Hock, of carving knife fame, did a short review:

https://hocktools.wordpress.com/2013...esman-grinder/

It looks a bit like a variable-speed Tormek. A possible option for those who already have a Tormek: I put a 600grit 10" wheel on my Tormek (from Ken Rizza at Woodturner's wonders) and along with two other grinders and more CBN wheels I can sharpen most things quickly. I use the Tormek bar and jigs on a 1/2 speed bench grinder and the Wolverine rest and turning tool jig on both. I do like the slow speed of the Tormek.

JKJ

It IS variable speed. When you put a tool on it,the speed varies!!

Tom,get a white wheel for your old Sears grinder. I did back in the 70's and never thought about going back. The next step was a Wilton Square Wheel grinder. Costs about the same as the grinder under discussion,and grinds many times faster.