Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Costly day yesterday with SawStop

Costly day yesterday with SawStop

I was dadoing the back of some molding & hit a staple so that set off the break cartridge. Put a new one in and started to finish what I started & I set off another dado cartridge. In doing that it ripped about 12 teeth off the dado blade....So a new Freud 8" dado blade & two dado cartridges...I'm going to send the one back that didn't hit anything to see what they say.....

Ouch... Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they will send you a free replacement cartridge.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

It's a good thing that YOU didn't set it off, but that still deserves an OUCH!

Wayne

Blog Entries
    I fired one with a piece of conductive material that I didn't know was conductive. Ever since that, I make a test run with the safety system in override to see if there is an indication that there would have been a firing. This has saved me a few times. Sorry about the stack, that hurt$.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

My blades cut right thru staples I don't understand how you guys would tolerate ruining a blade over a small piece of metal.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    My blades cut right thru staples I don't understand how you guys would tolerate ruining a blade over a small piece of metal.

Mainly because your blades also cut right through flesh and bone. It's a pain in the ass every other time, but that ONE TIME that it's your index finger going through, it's worth it

I've set mine off cutting aluminum. Late night in the shop doing a deadline. Made a bunch of cuts on the aluminum already and just that last time I forgot to turn the key. BANG, and a sudden realization that I was super tired and should probably sleep a bit.

If I had to pay $250 for every time I got nicked by the blade, I could buy a new slider.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    If I had to pay $250 for every time I got nicked by the blade, I could buy a new slider.
    Youve been nicked by a powered up table saw blade THAT many times?! Me thinks perhaps its time to re-evaluate some table saw safety practices and get back into better and safer usage habits...

I guess I haven't jumped on the whole sawstop theory yet. Not to be negative, or ruffle feathers, but, I think most machinery accidents happen because of lack of knowledge of the machine. Granted, there is going to be some fear of the saw, with good reason. But that can be overcome with practice & use of the saw. Fear of the saw teaches respect for the equipment, & caution. Over the years of being around all kinds of man eating equipment, the first thing to do is listen to the machine. Then study whatever it is you're going to put thru it. You wouldn't put a piece of wood thru your planer w/metal in, would ya? Then why put it thru your table saw? Sawstop or not? You can plainly see the blade is spinning at a high rate of speed, so, in turn, what's the inevitable? I guess my main question is why spend a national debt on a saw that costs even more money every time ya do something you knew would cost ya an injury with a real saw? Hell, think things through before you even turn on the saw. How difficult is it? Stop & think before you make a move. Look for staples, etc. Its your money. JMO.
    Sawdust703

"In doing that it ripped about 12 teeth off the dado blade....So a new Freud 8" dado blade & two dado cartridges..."

Well, at least it was a Freud dado set and not an expensive Forrest or similar!

Accidents happen. All the best planning and practices do not seem to make all accidents go away. Fact of life. So the SawStop technology is valuable if the worst case happens. If the cost is bearable, then why not have a SawStop in the shop?

I do not have one and never will. But I do not think those who do are wasting their money.

Even the SawStop is not 100 percent effective, from what I have read in the past. Perhaps rumors though, but if you saw the video where the owner of the company put his finger against a running blade to illustrate the technology, his finger was moving very slowly, as compared to the speed of a kickback.

Personally I commend anyone who spends money to increase his chances of minimizing damage to himself if the worst case happens. Do you wear chainsaw chaps when cutting trees? I do. Yes I am careful, yes I have been using a chainsaw for decades, but what if? I would rather have the chaps between my legs and the chain, than just thin cotton material.

Thanks to the OP for posting about his misfortune. Perhaps a heads up to those who may be considering a SawStop purchase. Potential future cost of ownership.

To me this is simply a potential additional cost for the added protection offered by the system.

I myself will never own a SawStop (for some of the reasons others have posted above). Buying one is a personal decision. Like anything that increases ones odds of a favorable outcome, if things go wrong, owning one has to be a good thing.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Barnhart View Post
    I guess I haven't jumped on the whole sawstop theory yet. Not to be negative, or ruffle feathers, but, I think most machinery accidents happen because of lack of knowledge of the machine. Granted, there is going to be some fear of the saw, with good reason. But that can be overcome with practice & use of the saw. Fear of the saw teaches respect for the equipment, & caution. Over the years of being around all kinds of man eating equipment, the first thing to do is listen to the machine. Then study whatever it is you're going to put thru it. You wouldn't put a piece of wood thru your planer w/metal in, would ya? Then why put it thru your table saw? Sawstop or not? You can plainly see the blade is spinning at a high rate of speed, so, in turn, what's the inevitable? I guess my main question is why spend a national debt on a saw that costs even more money every time ya do something you knew would cost ya an injury with a real saw? Hell, think things through before you even turn on the saw. How difficult is it? Stop & think before you make a move. Look for staples, etc. Its your money. JMO.
    From what I have read most of the table saw accidents that happen out there are to guys that have been working with the tool for many years. And it seems that is WHY the accidents happen, they use the tools day in a day out, are always pressed for time and start to work faster or otherwise become complacent in safety rules and then get caught off guard, not paying close enough attention and lose a finger. The hobbyist at home has all the time in the world to think out and plan each cut making sure its done properly and as safely as possible. That said, sure there are lots in both the hobbyist and professional world using the tools and dont know how to use them safely, but in the research I had done it seemed more professionals or heavy/daily users were injured than those that have the luxury of working with such tools only as a hobby.

That said, as has been said a ton of times before around here when these Anti/Pro SawStop conversations get started: if one is looking to buy a brand new 3HP, 36"+ professional cabinet saw, the SawStop PCS really isnt that much more money and the build quality alone is worth it even without the priceless safety feature.

I just have to ask. 12 TEETH? Does that include chipper teeth? What I am wondering is how much of a revolution did it take to stop that dado blade? I realize it would include both outside blade also.

Just curious. This is the fist time I have seen someone report on a dado firing.

Thanks,
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I just have to ask. 12 TEETH? Does that include chipper teeth? What I am wondering is how much of a revolution did it take to stop that dado blade? I realize it would include both outside blade also.

Just curious. This is the fist time I have seen someone report on a dado firing.

Thanks,
    Maybe I misunderstood the OP, but it sounds like the brake fired, then he reused the same dado stack with a new brake. If thats actually the case, 1. Im amazed he could reused the stack, and 2. Being that the stack had already been in a brake it might have loosened up several teeth and the second time it fired into a break those ones and new ones were knocked loose.

I do not quite understand?? After the first time, why not use a metal detector to look for metal. If you set the cartridge off perhaps time to figure out what happened and how not to do it again.

If I fire the cartridge on mine, I will not use that blade against unless it is checked by an expert. No way would I just put it back in the saw. A piece of carbide could come out like a 22 rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Sawstops usually do also. Unless the wood is wet, it shouldn't trip on a staple; or so the instruction book says.
    Last month I ran a brand new blade into a screw. I nearly soiled my pants, but nothing happened.