First a quick introduction since this is my first post in this section. I have been reading here for a while as I integrate more hand tools into what has primarily been a machine driven shop. Woodworking in my vocation primarily consists of building structures/furniture that live outdoors (decks, arbors, benches, gates, etc.). Some of my work has been evolving towards minimizing steel fasteners in non-structural applications (e.g. mortise and tenon gate/door construction) and I am finding hand tools to be a better fit.

On to the present conundrum. I have acquired some Black Locust, milled from a couple of fairly large trees that blew over onto my shop last winter.

This wood is like nothing I have ever worked with steel knives. It dulls chainsaw cutters, chisels and plane irons so fast that I wonder if it's worth the effort (and I'm fairly stubborn). It tears out when planing with the grain, but planes fairly well cross grain. High speed steel knives seem to work best, but I'm sure those will be dull in short order. A short session with the smoother and the edge was gone.

The grain, once revealed, is quite beautiful. Getting there is anything but a beautiful experience.

I did a search and saw that Juan Jovey (sp?) did a workbench top using Black Locust. In the thread he indicates that it was easily milled, but my experience has been just the opposite; at least with steel cutters. I offered a burl to a wood turner friend and he declined for similar reasons.

Since I have read both good and bad reviews on the workability, I can only assume that the difference in experience boils down to two possibilities. The wood takes on different characteristics depending on where it's grown (soil conditions), or the craftsman are using different methods.

Is there a plane iron set up/technique that might make planing a reasonably fruitful effort on this wood?

And if Juan is still around, it would be good to hear how the bench top has held up.