Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How close to the wall is your lathe?

How close to the wall is your lathe?

I have to decide where to put the lathe when it arrives. My wood shop is very narrow (9') so I wonder if it can go in there as the other side has the table saw, assembly table, etc. It would be nice to have it in there so the sawdust would be in there. However, I can put it in the "man cave" but don't know how I could contain the dust. Ideas are welcome!

Mine is about 8 ft from the nearest wall, lots of people put their lathe close to a wall. My head-stock does not slide and I do quite a bit of hollowing while standing on the back side. If you put it near a wall, having a window nearby can help with the dust if you put a fan in the window pulling the dust outside.

I set my G0766 against my concrete block basement wall, but I keep a corrugated plastic bent cover under the lathe, on top of the crate cabinet I made, to keep the shavings consolidated. I still have to make some french cleated hangers for the tools, so I don't have to move them every time I clean up.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

I just got some advice that I will use for shavings, using a shower curtain set up to contain their spread. As for the dust, I have found a very helpful setup = a 20" box fan across from me on the other side of the headstock, bulling the dust into a 20" furnace filter. Huge different. Then I always use a 3M half-mask with p-100 filters.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

My soon-to-be-gone Jet 1236 is right up against one wall, the splayed legs on the stand make the bed of the lathe perhaps 12" from the wall? Only "oops" from that set-up was the first time I turned very green wood and it sprayed water all over the drywall, now I put plastic up when working green wood. I keep a magnetic extension wand and a "reacher" to pick things up that fall behind the lathe. There's enough room to stick a vacuum hose back there when there are too many shavings built up. I keep some calipers and such hanging on that wall, but am very careful when reaching over the lathe, if it's running. New lathe is a smaller Nova Comet II (same swing, but much shorter), will probably go in the same area.

Hi Brian, this is what I came up with help from Jack Sorvona, works great with sanding dust.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Michael,

For 15 years now I've been happy with my lathes close to a wall. This is one of my current lathes, a PM3520b. I also have a Jet 1642 opposite the PM, also close to a similarly adorned wall.

lathe_PM_IMG_20160331_18501.jpg

I turn more smaller things than large, although I can easily turn a 19" platter or large bowl with the lathe positioned this way. Like some, I have no need to stand on the opposite side of the lathe. I very much like having the tools I reach for the most within arms' reach or at least within a few steps - the wall is perfect for this. In fact, this is an 8' wall I built precisely to give me the tool space behind the lathe (and to separate the turning space from my office area).

I keep a tub underneath to catch a lot of the chips and a cyclone DC helps with the sanding dust.

JKJ

Thanks that helps me.

My lathe sits in a dedicated 8 by 12 room. Beauty is against the wall, and work bench on other side with grinder and 'stuff'. Not sure how table saw and other stuff will fit in. Covers would be needed...

robo hippy

I have my spindle just over two feet from the wall. That will allow me to turn a four foot platter outboard if I want. Think about the largest turning you might need/want and make sure the wall distance will accommodate.

Doug

My first two lathes were placed against the wall. My new lathe sits in the middle of the room in front of my garage door. Access all around. I like this as I occasionally lose sandpaper or my sanding pad and would have to crawl under the lathe to retrieve it when the lathe was against the wall. Much easier to clean also.

mine is currently against the wall. I thought that would help contain the shavings, but it just makes it harder to clean up.

I have my large lathe well away from the wall, actually I turn with my back to the wall where I have storage on the wall and can turn around and reach all of that, the small lathe can easily be placed where ever, but tend to stand right next or behind the big lathe.

As most of the larger turning is done on the end of my lathe, that is where I have the shower curtains to kind of corral the shavings.

As this was my second shop setup, I learned from the first one to stay farther away from the wall, as I had only a couple of feet between the lathe and the wall, now I can walk or stand anywhere around my lathes, I like this setup very much.

shop.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Just far enough away that my dust collection hood on a stand thing can fit between the lathe and the wall comfortably, so maybe 2 1/2 feet? I am moving into a new shop soon and will probably give myself a little more room back there, but only because the shop is bigger and I can.

I had my jet 1642 close to the wall (about 2 feet) for many years. When I upgraded, I put the new lathe in the same place - mostly because the entire shop had been built and adjusted to that and it was the easiest solution. I did not really like not having ready access to the other side, and often found that everything I dropped wound up over there - a real PITA.
    Now I've got the opportunity to build a new shop and the first thing I did was layout the floor space with the lathe centered and a fully opening wall in front. Good access and a great view. I found in the old shop - 2/3 of a 3-car garage - the tablesaw is way more table than saw these days, so it gets relegated to a corner and a mobile base.