Thread: Tablesaw blade won't raise completely

Tablesaw blade won't raise completely

Have a Powermatic 66, and the blade won't raise all the way up. The saw is at least 20 years old and this has never happened before. Had the blade lowered for some cuts, and when I went to raise it, it wouldn't go quite all the way back up. It stops maybe 1/4" from all the way. I'm thinking maybe it's just the gears are gunked up? I tried getting up in there and scraping the teeth and spraying some PB Blaster up there, but it's difficult to get in there. Is there any good way to get to the gears besides removing the top? Any other ideas on what it might be?
    Thanks in advance!

Make sure the set screw holding the raise/lower handle to the shaft isn't loose. Might be that there is a small cut off wedged into a gear too. back off the height some and blow it out with your air hose.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Lawrence View Post
    I'm thinking maybe it's just the gears are gunked up?
    I have a contractor style saw that wouldn't adjust all the way over to 45* for a bevel. I'm not sure if I had ever cut a bevel with that saw before that attempt. Turns out there was quite a bit of greasy sawdust buildup on the stops that limit the arbor rotation. Possibly the same sort of issue with your saw?
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    Since it sounds like it worked before and rather suddenly stopped my bet is a piece of spoil in the way. This doesn't have to be in the threads. A chunk of something could have gotten in a pinch point and when you tried to raise the blade the mechanism jammed it in tight. A pivoting mirror on a stick, a flash light and some patience may be the cure.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The top comes off with four bolts. Yes, you will need to realign the top but it's the best way to get in there to clean everything up and see what exactly is going on. I've taken mine off a couple times over the 27 years I've had it just clean it all up and get it working smoothly again.

Weird thing is I also own an old Unisaw and that thing never needs to be opened up. A blast of air and hit it with some dry lube is all it's ever needed.

>>>> The saw is at least 20 years old

If you haven't cleaned, lubricated and adjusted your saw in that time it certainly is due for a complete rehab. Sawdust and old grease will really gum up the works over time. Problems you are experiencing are indicative of limited or no maintenance.
    Howie.........

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I have a contractor style saw that wouldn't adjust all the way over to 45* for a bevel. I'm not sure if I had ever cut a bevel with that saw before that attempt. Turns out there was quite a bit of greasy sawdust buildup on the stops that limit the arbor rotation. Possibly the same sort of issue with your saw?

This would be my guess as well... try blowing everything out and see if it's still short.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

I had a problem with my Grizzly 1023 SLX where the blade wouldn't raise completely. Turns out it was some teeth broken off the trunion gear which I had to replace. It was one of those fluke things and I don't expect it to happen again.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I had trouble with my Rigid saw until I realized that the locking device for the height control was partiallly engaged and not completely loosened. Doh!