Thread: Question about dying (transtint dye)

Question about dying (transtint dye)

I have a myrtlewood bowl that I am finding kind of plain and also there are some gray streaks. It has some chatoyance - - perhaps its only redeaming feature. I'm considering dying the wood. Perhaps blue.

I see that some videos show people sanding back the finish after dying. I'm wondering about "sanding back" and whether it enhances the project or just adds a degree of randomness.

What are the thoughts from others who have used transtint dye and either sanding it back or decided NOT to sand back.

Brice, keep in mind that it is very tricky getting a true blue on wood with an amber tint. Your first application will probably give you green or turquoise. Multiple applications are usually required using a concentrated solution.

Sanding back is typically done when black is used first to highlight the figure in wood - such as burl or curly maple. Doing so can actually mute the chatoyance.

Dyeing a piece will raise the grain requiring a light "knock down" with a scuff pad or 0000, or, you can raise the grain first prior to dyeing.

Dyes Yes like John said it takes multiple coats. I apply the dye, transtint, right out of the bottle. put a small amount on a paper towel and apply it to the wood. It is going to look like too much but it will be ok. You can sand it back to where you want it. If you choose to add another color you can put a light coat of sanding sealer on then apply the next color. If you look at my "Dragon Teapot " you will see I applied black, sanded it back then applied blue. You can also airbrush you dye on. I use DNA as a carrier for the dye. "Morning Glory" recently posted is also done with the same dye procedure.

I've been experimenting some with dyes. One piece I dyed blue a couple of times and sanded back, then rubbed in some DO and finished with lacquer. It was pretty and the grain was stunning, but it didn't have the deep chatoyance I expected. If I had dyed black, sanded back, then dyed blue maybe it would have helped. Everyone I showed it to likened it to stone or marble. Cool effect, but not what I intended. I'm not sure how it could be done differently to enhance chatoyance, but it will definitely help accent the grain.