Thread: Setting up shop!

Setting up shop!

Well, I've had quite a tough time woodworking in my apartment. Between noise, carpeted floors, and small spaces, it's a kind of stifling environment.

But, it occurred to me! I could set up shop at a fleamarket. I've seen several craftsmen working there, including some wood turners, leatherworkers, etc.

For $30/week, I have a place I can go, set up for 8 hours Fri-Sun, work, and sell things! So, that's what I've been doing the last two weeks.

I'm not really making any money - just breaking even at best. But it's quite a fun environment - I get to work in a spacious environment, demonstrate my work (not that I can claim I know all that well what I'm doing yet! ), and talk to people. There's something really motivating about working in an environment that other people can see your work, as opposed to just laboring away in complete isolation. And, every now and then, someone knowledgeable of woodworking will come along! Or, people who aren't knowledgeable, but interested in giving it a try. Perfect opportunity to snag them early and convert them to Neanderthals

Anyway. My booth is super humble, and not with much focus right now. I like making small projects, especially things with a lot of organic shape. Spoons, Bow Saws, Propeller Toys, Birdhouses, Strops - just whatever I feel like making, really. I even put out an old sanshin ("Okinawan Banjo" if you will) that I made with a tin can many years ago - long before I really had much knowledge or experience woodworking. I'll probably work on getting a bit more of a focus, or at least a more sensible array of products as time goes on and I figure out what kind of theme I'm interested in. But I'm also very much one to bounce around and try new things - I'm not usually content making a dozen of the same item.

I've made a few nicer pieces since taking these photos, but:
    IMG_0124.JPGIMG_0127.JPGIMG_0134.JPGIMG_0146.JPG

I slapped together a kind of crude Japanese-style planing bench that I can clamp to the tables there, and got me a cheap portable vise. A crude setup, but it works quite well.

If I get time, and I continue this, I might just make a nice workbench to leave there... and, stick a price tag on? Or maybe I'll just continue down my rabbit hole of finding the perfect portable bench.
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 05-22-2016 at 12:29 AM.

Brilliant!

Please post pictures of the market, and more of your workspace and whatever you make.

Regards from Perth

Derek

How much fun is that!!! I am really marveled at the idea. Great thinking.

That's very ingenous indeed! I don't know if I could get any work done though!

I'm with you Kees, I never get any work done at shows. Since you mentioned a bench, this is one that I built for working on site at different boatyards when the boat can't come to me. The legs are hinged on the back side and fold flat for transport. The top planks are held together with the 3"x3" blocks near the end. When the top is dropped over the legs those blocks keep the legs from folding. The back legs are splayed out. It is very stable and portable. If any one wants more info just ask.

Good luck with you endeavors, and very resourceful, sales will build the more consistently you are there.

Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Jim,

I would totally like more info on how it's put together!
    DOes the top completely lift off, and have a pair of blocks on each side?

Blog Entries
    Looks like a nice out of the weather set up.

The folks at the farmers market make a lot of suggestions about items to make. Surely you will have some of those to consider.

The farmers market here is outside so the weather can have an effect on attendance and what can be done in the rain.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Matt here are some more pics.

This shows the block that joins the two top planks.

The two top planks are 2"x8" nominal with a 1" gap between for a total top width of ~16"

The top just lifts off, only on rare occasions have I had to clamp the top to the base for heavy work.
    as you can see in the last pic I have a carving vise secured through the gap in the planks.

Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Working at the flea market is a really clever solution! I wouldn't have thought of that.

That is fantastic, Jim. Any racking with just one rigid side?

Regards from Perth

Derek

No racking, it is very stable and the splayed back legs really resist tipping backward if I'm planing on the diagonal. I've used the top by itself many times also.

Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service