Thread: My First Nails

My First Nails

I've had my sawmill five or six years and have never sawed through a nail until yesterday. My neighbor had brought me a couple of Chinaberry logs after I had asked him to be on the lookout for some. He had cut the 9' x 18" log in two as he hauled it in his pick-up. On the first log, I sawed through a small finishing nail that didn't do much damage to the blade sharpness. On the second log, the last cut, I heard that "zing" and I had gone through two 12d nails. One of them was bent over and I sawed through the length of it. I'll have to put on a new band before sawing again.

I did get 150 bf from the logs so I guess it was worth a $22 band. No pics as it was late afternoon and I was too tired to go get the camera.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I have had mine only a couple of years and have cut a bunch of nails; guess that I need to be more careful about which trees I cut up.

Wow. Lucky you!! Seems I hit them a lot. A guy brought me two logs - a walnut crotch and a red oak log. To cut on shares.

I hit a 5" J hook in the walnut while slabbing it. Cratered most of the teeth and even broke one off. A $120 chain. Not sure if it can be salvaged yet.

The start of the dig...
    IMG_2476.jpg

Finally out. Took a 6' pry bar levering it out.
    IMG_2477.jpg

The hole. He gets the slabs with the holes.
    IMG_2478.jpg

In the red oak, while slabbing, I hit a cluster of 5 3" box nails, about 6" deep into the log.

Luckily (luckily?) I only hit two of the five nails. I cut the 2" slab off with a chainsaw, and then moved my chainsaw over 2" and cut to the same depth. I then started chiseling out wood.
    IMG_2539.jpg

Most of the heads exposed. Sombody tells me the odds that I happened to be slabbing in the same plane as the nails were driven!!!
    IMG_2540.jpg

3 of the nails came out in one piece. The other two came out in multiple pieces.
    IMG_2541.jpg

After the 5 nails were out, I quit for the day. Next morning, I metal-detected again, and found more metal about 8-10" towards the butt end. I figured a sign was nailed up there a long time ago, and I had only dug out the top nails so far. I decided I would scrap the top 1/2 of the log. More firewood. There was no tell-tale blue stain on the butt end.

IMG_2544.jpg

I only got 4 slabs out of a 24" small end log. And even they are mediocre.
    Last edited by Todd Burch; 05-23-2016 at 12:48 PM.

I bought a metal detector after I hit a railroad spike years ago.

JKJ

I was chain sawing a log for firewood. It was about 16" across & I cut down the middle of a spike that was about 5" long that was in the center of the tree...

The Chinaberry was the first yard-tree logs I've sawed. All the other logs I've had were forest-grown trees. I did saw thru a piece of fence wire in a Walnut once but I was half expecting it. I cut the tree from off a friend's fence line and wasn't sure if I had gotten above the wire or not. Turned out to be "not."
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

What's that Chinaberry wood look like? I've heard it's a nice looking wood.

It is pretty. It's fast growing so the growth rings are really wide but the color is nice. It's in the Mahogany family and thats somewhat apparent. The pic is from a narrow 5" wide board that came from the upper part of the tree.

Chinaberry_zpsd2ukwjun.jpg
    Cody

I was curious to see what it looked like as well. There are several large Chinaberry trees in my back yard and in surrounding neighbors yards. The largest has a trunk about 24" in diameter. Not going to cut them as they give shade and the birds we feed, use them everyday. I always thought it was kind of a "trash" tree, and not likely to be able to produce usable lumber.

It is commercially harvested in it's native region of Asia, although somewhat under-utilized according to the Wood database. Supposedly it is easy to work and behaves when drying. I have a source for some more trees that I will probably cut in the next week or so. I normally don't cut down healthy trees for sawing but in the case of an invasive like Chinaberry, I'll make an exception.
    Cody

It is beautiful, coarse grained, ring porous, wood. Like Cody pointed out, it is in the mahogany family. Very beautiful. I have sawn and dried a bunch of it.