Thread: Anybody know what these are ?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anybody know what these are ?

A couple of years ago when I was starting the plans of building my first bench (after 25 years of woodworking) I bought a new front vice from a fellow on CL. Along with the vice and it's instructions he handed me a small, heavy box and said "I think this goes with it". I looked at the 2 identical items when I got home and thought they don't have anything to do with the vise as far as I knew.

So now that I've moved and have my new shop almost set up and I'm ready to actually build my bench I'm looking at these things in the box and trying to figure out exactly what they're for. As the pictures show, each consists of 2 cast parts and the one is secured by a cotter key. The smaller, "L" shaped piece has 2 small countersunk holes, presumably for mounting. I'm thinking a number 8 screw would be the largest that would fit and that would indicate to me that, if these pieces are used to hold something, like a piece of wood, not much pressure could be applied. The heavier part, with the slightly tapered dowel shape, has about 110 degrees of rotation.

If anyone knows what these are I would appreciate the enlightenment. And if anyone has a picture of them in use that would be great.
    Attached Images Attached Images