Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to delay upgrading to Windows 10 after the July 29 deadline

Blog Entries

How to delay upgrading to Windows 10 after the July 29 deadline

I ran across this article explaining how to delay doing the free windows 10 upgrade of your Win7 - 8.1 PC indefinitely. As you probably know Microsoft has set the deadline for the free upgrade to Windows 10 at July 29, 2016. After that, if you haven't upgraded it will cost you as much as $199 to do it.
    The article explains it way better than I ever could. This may still not make you happy because it does involve doing the upgrade and then backing it out, but it will allow you to keep your old Windows for a bit longer if you are wanting to upgrade at some point, but not before July 29.
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-lock-in-your-free-windows-10-upgrade-and-keep-using-your-old-windows-version/

I have already upgrade both my PCs, and don't want to go back, so I can't tell you how it worked for me, but I thought I would share this for those who might want to do it.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 05-24-2016 at 2:07 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

So....who's running Windows 10 and really liking it?
    I wished they'd offer a way to get the DVD to install from.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Or, if you don't ever want Windows 10 (I'll keep Win 7 thank you very much), download this little free utility (GWX Control Panel--just google it) to turn off the constant nag, delete any bits and pieces of Win10 that have already been downloaded and prevent it from happening again. It's reverseable if you change your mind.
    Last edited by Dale Coons; 05-25-2016 at 3:58 PM. Reason: removed direct link
    "Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves"-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    I was satisfied with Win7 for a good long while but started having some very frustrating difficulties after an update. A couple of drivers (including graphics) went wonky and my PC started "waking up" in the middle of the night. So I gave Win10 a try. Not only did it solve the driver and BIOS issues, it also recovered quite a bit of disk space. I haven't noted any adverse issues that I can associate with the upgrade.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Blog Entries
    Dennis,
    I am running it and really liking it. WAY better than 8.1 I just couldn't live without the start menu and the desktop. I think Windows 10 brings the best of win 7 and 8 combined.

You do know about the Windows Media Creation tool, right? This allows you to create a bootable DVD or USB stick and do the upgrade from that. It gives you the additional option to do a clean install, install saving only your data files or upgrade savings apps and files. Are you talking about something other than that?
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 05-25-2016 at 6:11 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm running 10 on three computers and am happy with it. Easy to use and stable.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I use 7 Pro at work, 8.1 Pro on my main PC at home, and 10 Pro on my laptop that I travel with.
    To be honest, there's really not that much difference between them.

I was planning on keeping 8.1, but after using 10 on the new laptop, I'll be upgrading to 10 to stay current.

I downloaded 10 and burned it to a DVD. I'll do the upgrade, then wipe it clean and do a clean install.

I updated my wife's laptop from 8.1 to 10 last week, and it was quick and painless.
    Gerry

JointCAM

I have two win 10 computers, one of which came with it and another that was upgraded from Win 7. I have been happy with both.

Any issues with 'earlier' software being compatible? I've heard there may be.

Spent the day with a computer tech cleaning up my laptop, and decided to stay with 8.1 because of that reason. Didn't want (if there were any) the issues of reloading/finding etc software that no longer worked.

For what I do, 8.1 seems ok - never tried anything with 10.

Too old to changed i guess...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post
    I have a copy if AutoCAD 2007 installed in Windows 10, and it works fine.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post

Spent the day with a computer tech cleaning up my laptop, and decided to stay with 8.1 because of that reason. Didn't want (if there were any) the issues of reloading/finding etc software that no longer worked.

For what I do, 8.1 seems ok - never tried anything with 10.

Too old to changed i guess...
    It is pretty straight forward to go back to 8.1 after upgrading (the article I linked to shows you how). Why not try it? If you don't like it, just back out the update, then if you ever want to upgrade again you can even after the July 29 deadline.
    Larry J Browning

Agree! Why not a DVD upgrade to those who qualify?

I have Win10 active (under Parallels) on both my personal iMac (to support Quicken) and on my BYOD work MacBook Pro to support corporate applications that require Windows. In general, I like it a lot. There's a minor learning curve for a few things, but otherwise, it's MUCH closer to Win7 behavior than v8.x was and easy to use. Seems to be pretty efficient, too. My employer just "released the hounds" and is upgrading 13K machines to Win10 before the deadline for cost control, too.

You can download the ISO and create your own DVD. I built my VMs from the ISO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have been considering upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 but am concerned about security. I have heard that Windows 10 has built-in overlord (Microsoft) access to the data on my computer. Is this true ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    I have been considering upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 but am concerned about security. I have heard that Windows 10 has built-in overlord (Microsoft) access to the data on my computer. Is this true ?
    There are many opinions about whether true or not. My first question is always "Why are they giving it for free?"