Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Design opinions please

1. I think #11 is the best form, and #2 comes in a close second. Brian, even though these are meant to be a bit heavy for years of use, I still think you could go smaller on the stem by a bit, and still have structurally sound pieces, and of course enlarge the bases on some of them to keep them from being tippy. Overall, this is nice work and it has been fun watching your progression on this large order..........hope it does not wear you out!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Hmm, well, favorite cup shapes are the ones on the far right. Porportionally, the cups all appear to me to be too small/short for the bases.

robo hippy

I like the form of #2 on the left of photo.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

#1 & #10 are my picks!
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

I like #4 and #8. My wife liked #1 and 13.

Best bowl is the tulip shape of 10. Mate that with the stem on 13 for a winner.

Brian,

Thank you for posting your designs. This is an opinion of a communion chalice and what it represents. A friend of mine is a priest and his father turned a chalice for him many years ago.

It it similar to #3 with a slightly thinner stem. A simple flowing design made for a beautiful chalice. Similar to the simplicity of Rude Osolnik's candle holders. (not so delciate, just in flow).

#10 cup with # 11 stem would be my choice. I like the proportion of the ogee shape of the cup on # 10 coupled with the thinner stem of # 11. To be honest though, very good work on all!

This is so helpful for me. Even now, when I am holding them one at a time it is difficult to picture the differences in proportion and effect.

In addition to reading each opinion several times, I have used the ideas as a poll. Then for the several more specific comments, with 11 chalices to go, I can make a chalice with specific ideas in mind.

Thank you so much for your comments.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I like #7 and #2, but #3 is my favorite. It would have been the one Indian Jones picked.

Are there any architectural motifs in the church(es) where the chalices will be used which could sources of design inspiration. e.g. flowing curves of #3 vs. bead and cove of #11, same criteria could be considered in wood color.

I like #2 best for the thinner stem and well defined cup. I agree with the comments that the cup could be a bit larger and the stem does not need to be thick to be strong enough.

I enjoy excercises like this as it shows how different our tastes can be, yet you have a large enough sampling that some themes emerge. Very nice work.

12 & 13 appeal to me.
    Simplicity, strength, beauty.
    Minimal ornamentation in deference to the intended contents.
    Kind of like a Shaker table.

I like 2,7,11 and 13

I like the 2nd & 7th. This based on the Stems, as I think thin stems look the best.