Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumb Question re: weight

Dumb Question re: weight

I have a 6040 Weike laser arriving in a couple of days. Because I have a door too small to bring the laser through, I have to remove a 4x6 window and bring the laser through that. With that said, the window is 33" off the ground and my intention is to uncrate the laser in the bed of my pick up (which sits 33" off the ground), then back up to the window opening, with the window out, and lift the laser through the window. (Two of us lifting). Is this feasible? Not sure if it's too heavy to lift off my truck and through the window into the room where it will stay.

Any thoughts?

I think it's going to be heavier (and bulkier in general) than you think it will be. And you don't want to drop it.

Do you have the exact specs on the 6040 you ordered? The generic Alibaba listing for it has it at just under 500 lbs....
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Is this into a shop? Could you build a very low grade ramp on the inside of the window? The casters on the bottom of the machine are usually pretty robust. It would be easy to lower down a ramp but dead-lifting it with just a couple guys is going to be stressful at best.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX

It says 150kg so 330 pounds. Two guys should be able to dead lift 330 pounds, no?

Mine is considerably larger and it can be lifted by two (determined) people. However, generally people will separate the top from the bottom half and just move the two sections individually by turning them sideways.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Weike says the top and bottom don't come apart. I'm guessing they're welded.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Less View Post
    It says 150kg so 330 pounds. Two guys should be able to dead lift 330 pounds, no?
    Can you do it, probably. Is there a chance something could go wrong, definitely.

If it's impossible to get another able bodied guy to help, I'd have a backup plan. But I usually take the safe route these days. I'm sure others would say to just lift it.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX

Weike says the top and bottom don't come apart. I'm guessing they're welded.
    In that case I would probably lay it on its back and slide it down a ramp made of a couple planks or piece of plywood. Not really any "lifting" involved if the truck bed is the same height as the window sill. Some old blankets or carpet scraps would be useful too.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

I would ramp both to the window from the truck and down to the floor using a come along to slowly winch it down the inside ramp

No way. Those lasers weight much more than 2 people can lift. 4 people maybe but you're still risking a lot, the metal on those machines is thin thin thin, and the components are all fragile. Chances are very high you will break something. Make some sort of ramp to unload it with and tie something to it to control the descent with a 3rd person holding onto that rope or whatever you've tied on it. If you use a rope be sure to put blankets or towels around the machine first so you don't rope burn it. Once you get it into the room is that window 33" off the floor on the inside too or level with the ground?

I have a 6040 Weike laser arriving in a couple of days. Because I have a door too small to bring the laser through, I have to remove a 4x6 window and bring the laser through that. With that said, the window is 33" off the ground and my intention is to uncrate the laser in the bed of my pick up (which sits 33" off the ground), then back up to the window opening, with the window out, and lift the laser through the window. (Two of us lifting). Is this feasible? Not sure if it's too heavy to lift off my truck and through the window into the room where it will stay.

Any thoughts?
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

It's the same height inside. I might use my quad ramp. I don't think I'd be comfortable 'tipping' it on its side and risk parts inside all getting messed up. 330 pounds doesn't seem that extreme to lift for two guys if we're really just lowering it. Guess we'll find out!

Hey Adam: I have an LG6040N. The legs are detachable and two guys can pretty easily load/unload from a truck. I'll assume the tube won't be installed, but I wouldn't use the housing that extends from the cabinet to lift the laser. I haven't been keeping up, so not sure if this will apply to your situation.

It will need to be uncrated if you did not plan on already. Some of those crates are huge and a bugger to take apart in a limited area, like the back of a pickup. That's a lot of weight for just two people. I have some of those padded 4 wheel dollies to move things around on.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Think about the last time you picked up an 80# bag of cement. I'm old & fat, and it's all I can do to deadlift a bag and get it in my truck...

now add 73 more pounds, and that's what each of 2 souls must lift... not pleasant!

LIFTING 330 pounds and MANEUVERING 330 pounds are 2 different things!

I fully planned on bringing the Explorer down into my basement. It weighs around 300 pounds. About 30 seconds of 'test muckling' the thing convinced me it was staying in the garage..
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I fully planned on bringing the Explorer down into my basement. It weighs around 300 pounds. About 30 seconds of 'test muckling' the thing convinced me it was staying in the garage..
    Come on Kev, my wife and I moved that machine many times. Believe it or not, I lifted it onto the pallet by myself!