Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: opinions needed regarding "baking" wood

Blog Entries
    Is there any way you could turn them without gluing, using hose clamps or such, then burn the inside with a torch like they do whiskey barrels, then glue them?

Resorcinol would perform well if you can tolerate the dark purple glueline. Urea formaldehyde (powdered plastic resin, Unibond 800) would work well with less prominent joints. Titebond and similar pva glues would suffer due to thermoplasticity, with Titebond 3 faring the worst (http://www.titebond.com/product.aspx...c-b53970f736af - follow the link and check on the "physical properties" tab). West system epoxy loses considerable strength above 180 F- there may be other formulations that do not.

I would be concerned about the wood drying out during the liner curing process and would try to keep the humidity above 30% RH. Assuming the wood's moisture content is not affected you should be able to apply your wood finish once the steins are back to room temp and the plastic is fully cured.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 05-27-2016 at 8:04 AM.

I strongly suggest you contact Franklyn International (mfg of Titebond) and discuss your needs. They have a excellent tech group and will be happy to speak with you.

Standard adhesives generally do not perform in hot applications.
    Howie.........

Blog Entries
    I watched many videos last night on barrel making. I really think you could use that same technic to make your mugs. That way would eliminate all concerns about glues.
    Consider checking that out. You make the staves, attach a metal ring to one end by loose fitting them together, then you apply heat inside the piece and wet the inside with water while applying heat. This makes the staves flexible enough to drive a ring on the center where it's the widest. Then you force the other end to fit into a bottom that has a groove. Then you turn the piece up side down and hammer the rings down to pull it all together tight and you have your piece sealed with no glue. You could then bake it and if it looses up all you'd have to do is drive the metal rings farther towards the middle.

There are a whole lot of videos on youtube showing the process. There was even one with a guy making a beer mug using this process.
    No chemicals to worry about.
    I might even give it a try myself.
    Before you decide on which glue is best please check this out. Just the satisfaction of making them without glue would really be pleasing, I think.

Blog Entries
    Many years ago I watched a tv program that showed a guy making about a 14 or 15 foot cattle trough using this technic. It was fascinating how it was done. Again, no glue to worry about.
    In my opinion any glue you use is going to react differently to the baking than will the wood. I think that will be problematic.
    And after all, a beer stein is nothing more than a small barrel.