Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G0453ZW Planer - Spiral cutterhead or Shelix cutterhead?

Grizzly G0453ZW Planer - Spiral cutterhead or Shelix cutterhead?

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a new planer. I've picked the model (G0453ZW), now it's time to decide weather to spend another $600 on a Shelix cutterhead, or just use the spiral cutterhead that Grizzly uses.

Or, I could buy the G0453W model and replace the 3 knife cutter with the Shelix.

Any comments, and how hard is it to replace the cutterheads? I don't need a 3 day process when it arrives.

I have had the G0453Z for about 5 years now. It has the Grizzly insert cutterhead. I put a Byrd head in my 8" jointer. I can't tell the difference in the cut. I wouldn't waste $600 on an additional head. I wouldn't go to the trouble of trying to install different head either. There are plenty of videos on how to do it. I don't think it would be hard, just a pain.

I changed out the straight knife to byrd in my g0453 when bought new. Took few hours. The YouTube videos made easy.

I have the G0454 and swapped out the straight head - actually with the quick insert system as well - to the byrd head. The process was easy to find on the web like Eugene said and pretty easy to do. All total maybe 2 hours tops to swap it out and that's with taking my time and trying to figure things out as I went. Never looked back afterwards. Can't comment as to how it compares to the other style insert head as both my jointer and planer have the byrd heads. I will say it changed the setup ever so slightly so I really need to go in there and adjust the feed rollers because it is a little worse for snipe now but just ever so slight - I never took to the time to correct it yet.

Do yourself a favor - go ahead and put a digital read out on that Grizzly planer as well - sure makes things a lot quicker and easier to use. That thing is a joy to use now.

I have the Grizzly head on my jointer and a friend has the Shelix. I cannot see a difference in the results. I use a lot of highly figured maple and have face jointed on both. Results are the same.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got the Grizzly spiral head in mine and love it. I haven't used one with a Byrd head to compare it to, but I can't imagine a Byrd head would be $600 better than the Grizzly version or give any better of a finish. $600 better than the straight knife version, you betcha. Every day of the week. I don't see my shop ever having another straight-blade jointer or planer after enjoying this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Ramsey View Post
    I've got the Grizzly spiral head in mine and love it. I haven't used one with a Byrd head to compare it to, but I can't imagine a Byrd head would be $600 better than the Grizzly version or give any better of a finish. $600 better than the straight knife version, you betcha. Every day of the week. I don't see my shop ever having another straight-blade jointer or planer after enjoying this one.
    The only thing with a spiral is if you bugger up the blade, you are done for the most part.

The Grizzly spiral head uses carbide cutters similar to the Byrd cutters not blades. If you bugger one up, you just remove the screw, rotate it 90º to a new edge, reinstall the screw and torque it.

Of course, any carbide "bits" can be damaged and need replacement on either a Byrd or Grizzly spiral.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    I'm another who has used the Grizzly and the Byrd side by side; no discernible difference in the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I'm another who has used the Grizzly and the Byrd side by side; no discernible difference in the cut.
    Honest question: Don't all spirals basically give the same result? Isn't "a spiral is a spiral, is a spiral", if you know what I mean? That's always been my impression.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Erik, I'm no expert but have always thought the quality of the insert and the chip evacuation were the only real variables with the various spirals- other than how many inserts per diameter. I'm a semi fan because they do improve an average or mediocre machine but not a high end one. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Erik, I'm no expert but have always thought the quality of the insert and the chip evacuation were the only real variables with the various spirals- other than how many inserts per diameter. I'm a semi fan because they do improve an average or mediocre machine but not a high end one. Dave
    This is my suspicion, too, Dave. SCM is going to have a planer with their new Xylent spiral head at IWF, so I am curious to see it myself. Hopefully, it will be powered.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Erik, Grizzly's spiral (along with a bunch of other ones) are simply small carbide knives that are placed in a spriral form but the cutting angle of them is the same as a straight knife.
    Byrd head is a helical cutter head, meaning that the angle of the cutting edge is not perpendicular to the direction of the feed, hence it behaves like a shear cut. For the same reason the cutter knives are not straight edge, they have a very small curve.
    Now theoretically, these are more complicated to build and theoretically they are supposed to give a better end result in complex grain directions. Whether in practice you get different results or not has to be tested on various conditions. I suspect there are situations that the Byrd head performs better but might not be worth the extra $$ for those rare situations.

They are not terribly difficult to change as everybody else has mentioned.
    Here's a thread about the different cutterheads when I was investigating them about a year ago.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...lix-Cutterhead
    Now that I've got a Grizzly head in my jointer and a Byrd head in my planer, I'm convinced there's no discernable difference between them. Both are vastly superior to straight knife heads and worth every penny.

Grizzly has a 3rd option, a cutterhead with fewer cutters, looks like the silent power Felder sells, and has several fewer cutters than the other 2. Fewer cutters take less power.