Thread: Don't forget to check on the bin!!

Don't forget to check on the bin!!

Since I've counseled several times to always make sure not to overflow the collection bin on a cyclone dust collector, I guess I better fess up. Here was the condition of my bin this afternoon. Almost completely full with just a small cone in the center. I've been doing almost nothing in the shop lately, and I turned on the collector to suck up a bit of stuff on the floor. Then I thought, what was the last time I looked at the bin level? There it is, I'm guilty.

I got a flashlight and looked into the filter. Thankfully, I was spared the packed with chips nightmare. I didn't get off scott-free however. There was quite a bit of fine dust in the filter, lots more than usual. A session with the compressor blow gun fixed that. Sooo, again, always make sure to empty the bin before it gets that full.

Most of the chips in the bin were planer shavings. When I was getting them out of the bin, I noticed how much volume they take up vs. other material. They were "fluffy" for lack of a better word. If I pressed on the chips my hand would easily go into them over a foot.

Full-collection-bin.jpg

Good reminder James. Have you tried using the home made level detector? There's a thread in this forum and its a doddle to put together - relatively cheap as well

On my cyclone I vent outside in the summer, so when the bin fills up it starts blowing into the side of my shed from in the lean to. this is my sign to go empty the bin.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

I have a Lexan "window" in the top of my cyclone bin that makes it easy to check...assuming I actually remember to do so...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I see a Lexan window in my future. I had planned to put one in, but just didn't get it done before I needed the DC.

Actually Lexan is fairly inexpensive at Lowes, or maybe any of the big box stores. Just fabbed up a TS blade cover with it so I could add dust collection over the blade. Very easy to work with. Don't get it confused with plexiglass, not the same animal. Lexan is the bullet proof stuff (if thick enough). Randy

I originally bought the Lexan for a TS blade cover for my original cabinet saw and just used a leftover piece for the bin-window. Lexan doesn't shatter like Plexiglas and is the better choice for "shop projects"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I do have real Lexan. I bought it from a surplus place in town to make guards and zero clearance inserts. Plexi would work just fine for the bin window. Not much strain on that.
    Last edited by James Gunning; 05-28-2016 at 9:34 PM.

That's a good idea to make zero clearance inserts out of it....just went on my "to do" list. Randy

I make the Bin Level Sensor System that is sold on the ClearVue Cyclones website (an SMC advertiser) and know there are several members here that have purchased one to avoid the OP's problem. A common problem is forgetting to observe the bin status, often because it is out of the way or in a closet. Over 330 systems have been installed on ClearVues, Oneidas, Penn States and other cyclones.