Thread: Dust Extraction On Hammer K3 Slider

Dust Extraction On Hammer K3 Slider

I am in the process of putting a permanent dust extraction hook up on to my hammer slider and I want to do it from overhead with no ducting on the floor to trip over so it will be a vertical drop onto the saw from the ceiling. The factory hook up is directly under the sliding table so that has to go and I am thinking of moving it to under the fixed table on the right hand side. I was wondering if anyone has done anything similar and if so how did it work out in practise.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

That's an odd spot, Felder (and I thought Hammer) dust ports are on the right side of the cabinet. Dropping the ducting in vertically is a snap.

Does it have a length of flex hose from the saw chute to the cabinet flange or is it a rigid plastic, formed, chute? If it's just a length of flex hose inside the machine, then I suppose you could cut a new hole in the cabinet and just re-route the flex hose. That seems like a lot of work to me, though. Why not just use a 90-degree elbow on the existing chute and run the hose where you want it, that way? Just route it back under the rip table. That's not really an area where you stand or work, anyhow, right?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Lou, I think Chris means near the floor under the out feed of the sliding table. Chris - are you saying you want to move the main dust port on the machine when you state "that has to go"? Would have thought that would be complicated as there is an internal shroud around the blade to help with collection, and this would have to be modified as well. On my combi I'm dropping vertically both the blade cover duct (short length of 80mm flex to a 80/50mm reducer on the cover) and the main duct (short length of 120mm flex directly to the dust port near the floor). These are connected at the other end to a 6 x 5 x 5 inch metal Y, then 6 inch metal duct to the DC. There's a similar thread about overhead ducting in the workshop forum here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-combo-machine that might be worth looking at

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Does it have a length of flex hose from the saw chute to the cabinet flange or is it a rigid plastic, formed, chute? If it's just a length of flex hose inside the machine, then I suppose you could cut a new hole in the cabinet and just re-route the flex hose. That seems like a lot of work to me, though. Why not just use a 90-degree elbow on the existing chute and run the hose where you want it, that way? Just route it back under the rip table. That's not really an area where you stand or work, anyhow, right?

Erik
    It is flex hose under the cabinet so re-routing wouldn't be to bad ignoring the cutting up the cabinet part (accessibility to the interior of the cabinet is limited so its a bit of a trick doing much in there though). The main problem I have with the current setup is that using a 90 on the back puts the hose right in the spot where the power feeder drops down on the swing away which is kind of annoying. Routing it out the right would also eliminate a 90 bend which should help airflow a bit (I have the DC sitting on the right more or less the same as OP although mine is just a portable unit with a short chunk of flex on the floor).

Its an interesting idea with some merit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    ...using a 90 on the back puts the hose right in the spot where the power feeder drops down on the swing away which is kind of annoying...
    Aaahhh..... I see.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

The existing port is directly under the outfeed end of the sliding table and if a pipe was run vertically then the table could not be used. God only knows who had the genius idea! Mine is a saw only so there is plenty of room inside the cabinet to re-route the flexible hose to another part of the machine and I can understand why a combination machine might be a bit more difficult. I know someone who did not move the external dust port but took out the flexible hose and existing under blade collection and rebuilt the entire thing to increase the air flow which was a huge job and one that I am not going to do. The standard port and internal system is very restricted and does not flow anywhere near enough air.
    Chris

Andy -- Ah, I get it. I've got a saw/shaper combo and there is a small port there for shaper use. I keep it capped unless i'm using the shaper and then just switch over the hose from the guard.

Chris,

I've got the feeder in the same spot, just turned slightly so it doesn't contact the port, I can see where it would be an issue trying to put ducting there. Perhaps, as you're intending, just cut a hole on the right side of the cabinet and run the vertical down catty corner off the right rear similar to the other thread Andy referenced; it's worked very well for me.

Even with the saw/shaper there looks to be plenty of room under there from poking around with a flashlight as the shaper extraction is all above table. I think the problem would be with the J/P addition blocking the side.

I'll agree with the internal ducting being on the small side, I think mine is only ~4" (or more likely 100mm, close enough) which is a fair bit smaller than the 120mm external connection. I think if you added adequate overhead collection as well you'd be in pretty good shape (while you're plumbing things in...). The extraction that was there went right out the window when I put in a ZCI anyway.

Thanks for the replies, give me a while and I will load some pics.
    Chris

Attached are some photos of what I propose to do and show why I want to move the existing dust port. I placed the new dust port near where I intend to put it and the red line indicates where the ducting on the machine will go. If I need to crosscut a 1200 x 2400mm (sorry I don't do inches and feet) panel the vertical duct will have to come off the machine so I will put a pull apart blast gate where the red box is to act as a quick release joiner, a wing nut on a bolt in each corner will sort that out. The first part of the vertical duct above the BG will be a short bit of flex to allow for the disconnection.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris Parks; 05-30-2016 at 2:01 AM.
    Chris

I just orient my feeder so it doesn't interfere with the dust port.

There's no reason you couldn't move the port of course...............Rod.