Thread: Spray advice

Spray advice

I'll be spraying a cabinet with ML Campbell Aqualente, first with primer then pigmented top coat. I'll be using a Fuji HVLP turbine. Seeking advice since this is the first time I've ever used a spray gun.

First, the primer is 30-40 seconds in the Ford cup. What size spray nozzle should I use? I'm thinking 1.5, and then switch to 1.3 for the top coat.

Second, I'll be spraying in my garage, with the door open and a fan running. It is about 85 degrees and 55-60 % humidity. Is that going to cause problems?

Many thanks for any help!

Len

Len, never used Agualente but have used similar General Finishes products with a Fuji Mini-Mite 3. Your needle size for the primer sounds right to me for the viscosity stated. I thought Agualente was about the same viscosity (30-40) as the primer so would stick with 1.5 if it works out with the primer. I've always gone by the Fuji recommendations and/or the finish manufacturer's spec. I would recommend spraying a small test panel to check. The humidity should be fine but you may find the temp a little high. I know GF recommends a range of temps/RH but cannot see a range for ML. You might need to use an extender, but I wouldn't have thought the slight temp increase above normal would be an issue.

If this is your first time using a gun, I would recommend doing a bunch of spraying on cardboard/junk wood to get the hang of it before spraying a cabinet. I used dyed water when I was learning. Also, a respirator is desirable even with WB coatings. Good luck

Len, go with what Andy says. The temperature will be OK. Cheers.

Thanks for the quick reply and sound advice, I plan to follow it!