Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pony Tools suspends operations

Is Pony and Jorgensen the same company?

shame, first clamps I ever bought was pony 3630's. I don't use those clamps much anymore but they are cool. Hate folks are losing their jobs.

I don't see how they're out of business! I see Jorgenson clamps at almost every home goods store, and every wood worker I know uses them. Did minimum wage go up to $15/hr in Chicago or something? Dang, I really liked those clamps

Glad I bought so many clamps now. Sad thing is, the last cabinet masters were a big jump in quality over the usa built ones. The chrome is much thicker, and the new plastic handles grip easy, much better than the wood handles. Maybe there will be a big closeout sale now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Glad I bought so many clamps now. Sad thing is, the last cabinet masters were a big jump in quality over the usa built ones. The chrome is much thicker, and the new plastic handles grip easy, much better than the wood handles. Maybe there will be a big closeout sale now.
    I totally agree with you about the improved quality, but with regard to the bar clamps (I don't have any cabinet masters). I have 30 year old Jorgensen bar clamps and 1 year old versions and I would take the new ones over the old any day. The handles are no comparison. The HD version of the 3700 bar clamp is incredibly powerful with an acme thread screw and super thick bar, not much more in price over the medium duty either.

I have found Home Depot's price on these clamps to be unbeatable. Also, a nice thing about the medium duty 3700 series is the small head which allows you to clamp dovetails and apply focused pressure on just the tail. If this company really is going away, it's a loss.

Although I'll say the good old orange pipe clamp fixtures that seem to have been their claim to fame have been improved by Bessey and Rockler both, with the foot re-design.

Yes. Jorgensen clamps are made by Pony Tool ..

I much prefer them over Bessey and Irwin. I've been buying a couple a month to fill in the sizes and quantities I was missing. When I saw this story last week, I decided to accelerate my purchases. I hit three Home Depot's today and bought out all the HD versions that I needed. I need one more 36 and a few more 48's, but I'm in pretty good shape now.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn de Souza View Post
    I totally agree with you about the improved quality, but with regard to the bar clamps (I don't have any cabinet masters). I have 30 year old Jorgensen bar clamps and 1 year old versions and I would take the new ones over the old any day. The handles are no comparison. The HD version of the 3700 bar clamp is incredibly powerful with an acme thread screw and super thick bar, not much more in price over the medium duty either.

I have found Home Depot's price on these clamps to be unbeatable. Also, a nice thing about the medium duty 3700 series is the small head which allows you to clamp dovetails and apply focused pressure on just the tail. If this company really is going away, it's a loss.

Although I'll say the good old orange pipe clamp fixtures that seem to have been their claim to fame have been improved by Bessey and Rockler both, with the foot re-design.
    I assume you're talking about those clamps with the steel I beam. They're excellent clamps - and they allow you to put a lot of clamping pressure, so much so that you can deform the wood. The real problem, to me, is the weight. Once you have a decent number of those clamps on a panel, it's very hard to move - almost impossible to pick up by yourself.

That's probably the main reason I use the Bessey clamps with the aluminum bars - much lighter.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Looks like they are headed to the auction block on Aug 17th.
    PonyToolsAuction.jpg

Maybe someone will pick it up and keep it going?? Its a heck of a brand to loose. infinity or woodpeckers? something along those lines.

The distributor I buy my hardware through ran out. I was going to order another 60 pipe clamp fixtures, but no dice.

You'd think a company that has been around that long would be pretty darn stable, but maybe they were just done too. Nobody wanted to take over, and the owner(s) was well past when he wanted to retire.

Who knows. It's a bummer though

Agree with Mike on the Bessey H clamps. You can sit them on the table top and adjust the screw without having to lift them up. Did use the pony type before I found these though.

Looks like the entire thing is on the block. If someone buys everything but doesn't want to stay in the business, there will be smaller auctions.

Did not realize until I started digging that Jorgenson a/k/a Pony etc. is also Easy Wood Tools, which is (was?) one of the up-and-coming lines of woodturning tools and accessories on the market. I saw a lot of the Easy Wood stuff as a few local shows and really like what they have.

Apparently, if I am reading the auction notice correctly, there is already a cash bidder for the entirety of the company's assets, including accrued and unpaid vacation time, for $650,000. The purchase agreement is subject to the auction, however, so if nobody else comes up with at least $690,000 (the initial bid plus the minimum bid increment), it will be sold to the initial bidder. So in a couple of weeks there will definitely be a new owner, but no guarantee that the new owner is going to keep the various brands going. I'd be willing to bet that the new buyer will be another manufacturer, or even an individual, who wants to keep it alive. Maybe Rockler, or Grizzly, even?
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Anybody know what happened at the auction? I haven't spent hours searching the Internet but a few minutes with Google didn't produce any news.

Mitchell Garnett