Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hollow form of Figured Redwood

Hollow form of Figured Redwood

12 inch tall Figured Redwood hollow form. This piece was bleached to lighten it up and help with the figuring There was a spot with soft bark inclusion that was filled with white mica and resin. Would not add white again. almost cut it out

Yes c and c welcome

Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice!!

It is a beauty!

Blog Entries
    Pretty wood

Ronald, it look nice, but, I agree don't use white next time. I think this piece would look so much better, if the infill had been a darker shade.
    Len

Nice piece Ron. Did you use the HR-1000 or the XL on this?
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    Nice piece Ron. Did you use the HR-1000 or the XL on this?
    I used the small Hollow Roller with the big bar.

Blog Entries
    Incredible piece. Perhaps one day I, too.......

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Campbell View Post
    I used the small Hollow Roller with the big bar.
    I used the smaller system with the big bar also and doesn't seem to matter what cutter I use but at around the 11" mark I seem to start getting pretty good chatter. Even with moving the front rest up to the piece, getting past 12"-13" seems to be a stretch with this system. Website says up to 18" with the big bar but I can't see that working. I've thought about getting a different style front-rest that could extend inside of the form for support but haven't done so yet. You have a different opinion? Here's what I was thinking about:
    Offset tool rest.jpg
    Last edited by David Delo; 06-03-2016 at 12:19 PM. Reason: add pic

Blog Entries
    Now that's an idea.
    Perhaps a piece of galvanized cut down the middle and smoothed out.

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    I used the smaller system with the big bar also and doesn't seem to matter what cutter I use but at around the 11" mark I seem to start getting pretty good chatter. Even with moving the front rest up to the piece, getting past 12"-13" seems to be a stretch with this system. Website says up to 18" with the big bar but I can't see that working. I've thought about getting a different style front-rest that could extend inside of the form for support but haven't done so yet. You have a different opinion? Here's what I was thinking about:
    Offset tool rest.jpg

David I don't think you can go 18 inches deep with the small hollow roller and the big bar. I think 14 inches is about as deep as you can go. In this case I was cutting redwood. It is a soft wood and is much like pine. I own a Robust J tool rest. I don't like it for going deep. It gives me the feeling that I am going down hill. I am currently hollowing a 12 inch deep mesquite and I know it will turn much different than the redwood. After the AAW I will post here something new for the Hollow Roller. It might help with some of the deeper pieces you might want to hollow. Ron

Beautiful Work! Very nice grain in that redwood. My abiitiy and equipment doesn't allow me to even try to do work like this. The finish you used is nice quality, too.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

David, I made my own box rest that is similar to the one you show. It works well going inside of hollowforms, assuming that the opening is big enough. It gets rid of a lot of the chatter that you may otherwise have. It works very well for the bottoms and part way up the side. As you work off to the side and get more overhang, it works less well - - but still better than no inside support.

I'm considering making another one shaped a little bit like a letter "J" shape so that I can get additional support when hollowing around the neck inside.

That is a fine looking hollow form.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    David, I made my own box rest that is similar to the one you show. It works well going inside of hollowforms, assuming that the opening is big enough. It gets rid of a lot of the chatter that you may otherwise have. It works very well for the bottoms and part way up the side. As you work off to the side and get more overhang, it works less well - - but still better than no inside support.I'm considering making another one shaped a little bit like a letter "J" shape so that I can get additional support when hollowing around the neck inside.
    Thanks for the input Brice. I'm sure something like that would work for those last few inches and the bottom. I would like to get to that 14" mark and still be able to get a decent finish off the tool on the bottom. I'll be interested to see what Ron C. has to say & show after the symposium. He's pretty well connected to the Carter folks and they must have a top secret gizmo coming out.