Thread: update on nova 1624

update on nova 1624

well I got it all together and going from a mini lathe to a full size lathe is unbelieveable,,I just had to try it out,,lol,,I found a small scrap of maple wood and turned a little box and I just could not believe how easy it was,,i just have to get a few more spindle adapters to go from 1x8 to the spindle size that is on this lathe,,cant remember at this moment,,but I know the spindle size is larger,,so far im very pleased,,,thank you all for your input,,i would put a picture of it on here but I don't know how,,,,,

Grizz has an adapter that converts from 1-1/4-8 to 1x8. It costs under $10 and (if mine is representative) has very low runout. Also the threads look very nice.

I've had my 1624 for 5-6 years and it continues to do all I want to do.
    A spindle adapter may be fine but if you have chucks with inserts I would go with new chuck inserts to fit rather than spindle adapters.
    For items which are direct threaded you will need a spindle adapter.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I second what Michael Mills said about inserts. All you need is one adapter, but--- depending on your existing chucks---- inserts are the way to go. I understand that some of the turners on this forum have not been happy with the cheap inserts sold by Woodcraft, but I've had no problems with them on the few 1x8 Novas i had from my first lathe. An adapter is still useful, as some items only come in 1x8.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

Enjoy. You will have lots of turning awaiting you in your new lathe.
    C&C WELCOME

Quote Originally Posted by Hilel Salomon View Post
    I second what Michael Mills said about inserts...
    Me too. I have inserts on all my chucks and keep several different sizes in the draw in case I want to use a chuck on a smaller lathe or loan one out.

Besides the issues of the sturdiness and possible alignment with the adapters, I sometimes turn long things and rather not waste the space.

JKJ