Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: We're outa here... Rita looks big

First Tornado

Passed pretty close to the west of us, YEE HAW!!!!!!!

My cousin next door lost his power. He has more trees over his line, the line is on the west side of the trees and the wind is blowing about 40-50 with gusts, and a tree took it out. He has a lot longer run and more trees than me.

Yep thats the place..That was about 6 years ago or longer. Small world. Keep your head down looks like your in for it for a while.

Looks like Holly Beach or Cameron is going to get the direct hit.
    What if the light at the end of the tunnel is a train?

Good Morning All.

The power started going on and off about Midnight last night, so I shut it down.

I ended up falling asleep about 1:00 AM and just woke up a few minutes ago. It is still blowing, but it is not raining right now.

Not much going on here. Some rain. Light winds. Only damage so far is all the stinking screws holes in my house from boarding it up.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    Not much going on here. Some rain. Light winds. Only damage so far is all the stinking screws holes in my house from boarding it up.

Todd
    Better safe than sorry, my man!!

I hope everyone stays safe.

Keith

This was a quick shot from the front door

This was my Peach tree, also notice the stick stuck in the ground in front of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A couple more

1. The tree that went down
    2. Along side of my house
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rita

Well, Rita flirted with us but her heart was in Louisiana.

Pearland Tx is south of Houston on Hwy 288 (The Nolan Ryan Freeway!) about 10 miles and we did not experience the storms fury. We had 30-40 mph winds late yesterday afternoon, and then about 6PM the local weather guy said we would be on the western edge and would be OK. We left our daughter's house and drove 3 miles back to our home and slept well. We had very little rain and I will run the sprinklers tomorrow.

Today the plywood comes off the windows and the plants go back out side.

Amazing what a difference of 15-20 miles can make. Our eastern neighbors in Baytown and around NASA had much stronger winds and damage.

There are power outages all around us but our subdivision is all underground utilities and we escaped. The grocery stores are still closed, and probably empty anyway from the pre-storm buying, so it will be a couple of days until food and gas is available.

The govenor has asked folks to delay returning until power is back on and gas is back in the system. Apparently there are 70+ gas tankers in San Antonio ready to refill the retail distribution pipeline.

We are very fortunate and will be praying for those to the east who met Rita head-on.

TJH

Well, rode my first Hurricane last night. Luckily for the city of Katy the storm shifted up the coast before she hit. That put us on the "clean side" of the storm. Damage was minimal here and today the sun is shining and it's a beautiful day outside. Winds only got to about 50mph and there really wasn't much rain. We only lost power for a few seconds and then everything came back on. Damage to the house was virtually non-existant. A frayed nerve or two, a broken branch on a small tree, and I think the power outage toasted the NIC in the computer. Thought I was without Internet for awhile, but I'm on with a wireless connection to the laptop - so I'll have to assume the NIC in the desktop has gone on to greener pastures. Looks like the big guy upstairs was looking out for the family and I. As usual - looks like I owe him one.

Gas is non-existant and there are few if any stores open to restock anyone's pantry - so if you're from here and looking to come back in after evacuating, I'd suggest waiting. Not much to do here for the time being.
    Keith Foster Carrera Farms

That's great news, Keith! Hard telling for sure from what we've seen on the tube, but it does look to have caused a bit less damage than originally anticipated. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what all the aftermath is when they're able to do a more detailed inventory of the destruction throughout the affected areas. Looks like still a big chance for widespread flooding. It does, however, appear that authorities and citizens were better prepared than they were for Katrina. I'm just hoping that with the less than expected damage, it doesn't put folks in a more relaxed state if another one should happen along.

Anyhow, glad to hear all is well by you! Hope the rest of the Creekers in the affected areas made out as well. Still looking to hear from Todd, whom I believe is in your area, correct? Prayers and best wishes still going out to all in those areas hit by this latest twist of Mother Nature's not so comical sense of humor.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I'm just hoping that with the less than expected damage, it doesn't put folks in a more relaxed state if another one should happen along.
    I assure you that will NOT be the case at my house. I gave myself a C- on being ready for this one. That won't happen again. I will have a generator, window shutters, bottled water, batteries, bread, and a minimum of 10 gallons of extra gas on hand. Those are the things I stupidly attempted to buy 3 days BEFORE Rita arrived - and they were already GONE! Well, I didn't try for the generator - but I'm pretty sure there were none to be found.

Wound up with Oatmeal Bread (yuck) and about 8 cases of cokes in various flavors - and I don't even like soda pops. For next season there will be bottled water, batteries for the radio, at least an inverter for the car (but likely a generator), and an extra supply of gas (can't even mow the lawn right now becasue I'm out and I can't find any). And I'm not gonna wait until one's on the horizon - this is something those of us on the coast need to do at the START of Hurricane season - not during. The fact that Katy only got a glancing blow is just plain dumb luck (and the grace of God). Like I said - this was my first brush with a Hurricane and it won't be my last. So I'm gonna chalk this one up as a learning leason - and I listened real good to the teacher - her name was Rita.

All is well here. Took the wood off the house this AM. It really didn't even get wet enough to degrade it, so... I'll be cutting off the ends with screw holes and putting it back in the stock pile. $$ saved.

Not too many resturants open back up yet. Like Keith, lost power for about 2 seconds around 8pm.

Praise the Lord this wasn't a true distaster area.

Todd

Awright, Todd! I'm glad you dodged the bullet! BUT, maybe you better save those pre-drilled wood pieces until the hurricane season is over and then put them back into stock! At the rate wood is going up now, it'd be a lot more expensive to replace them a month from now! God willing, you won't have to worry about that, but it's still better to be prepared. Take care and hope you folks can quickly resume "business as usual" in your area!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Just got back from a quick spin to the post office. It was closed! Where'd they put that motto again?? You know the one, somethin' bout gloom of night and all that stuff!

Anyway, towns closed up tighter than Christmas. Saw two gas stations open and both had lines at least a block long. No grocery stores, no retail shops, nothin' at all. Well, Walgreens was open - but they're outta cookie dough. This is gonna take some getting use to...

Hey Keith, your last post is time-stamped at 5:47; 'Round these parts, the USPO is never open that late on a Saturday, even if it's sunny out!

So, you guys obviously have electricity. The rest of your utilities in order, as well? Phone, gas, water, etc...? You guys must've gotten a shipment or two of petrol, as well, seeing as to how there are lines at the pumps. Guess that's a good thing, huh? It does sound as though you may have to wait a while before your next Borg trip, though!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas