Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: We're outa here... Rita looks big

All the utilities are functioning here in Katy - we were VERY lucky. As to the post office - yes they are ususally closed late Saturday here as well, but the front door has always been open to go in and check your PO Box or buy stamps from the machines. Not so today - door was locked and there wasn't any one in back like normal.

BORG on south Fry had a couple of workers on fork lifts moving pallets of goods from in front of the doors. I would imagine they will try to open in the morning. Just saw a news report showing long lines at one of the few grocery stores open in the area. Most of the stores are still waiting for their employees to make it back to town. We'll live - the LOML just pulled a couple of T-Bones out of the fridge.

Todd - what part of Katy are you in? I'm out in Seven Meadows.
    Keith Foster Carrera Farms

Keith, I'm your next door neighbor in Grand Lakes!! I shop that (wish it was bigger) Borg!! I back up to Fry road, near the intersection @ Peek. You'll have to come over some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    Keith, I'm your next door neighbor in Grand Lakes!! I shop that (wish it was bigger) Borg!! I back up to Fry road, near the intersection @ Peek. You'll have to come over some time.
    I'd like that. Been meaning to see if any "other" creekers are in the area and maybe invite the "gang" over to toss some burgers on the grill. Weather report says we are due for some relief from the heat next week, perhaps now would be a good time to set something up for early October.

Yea, Keith...you need to visit Uncle Todd. You're life will change when you see his fine work.

And I'm glad all of you fared well through the storm. (Todd, I guess that "redecoration" of your house scared the storm into taking a little right turn... )
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'd have to be better than mine - I'm just a tool collector!

Built a nice house on the farm, but other than that I push technology all day long. Itching to get started on some furniture, but gotta wait a few more weeks until it cools down. Had to go an pick a real hot summer to begin this "hobby". Suppose to be in the upper 90's today - AGAIN! Seems like the summer lasted longer this year than it has since I moved to the Houston area in 91.

Thank you all for your concerns

Wow, what a deal. We fled Rita the wrong way. We went to mother-n-law's in north west LA and got hit by some pretty high winds. Glad we were here though because she had two trees blow over across the road and into a neighbors yard. With the neighbors help and her chain saw we quickly got it out of the way. One huge pine that took the next day to cut in to small enough pieces to be picked up.

We got word that our home is intact in Dayton, TX but electricity is out for the next month. We just bought two 5600KW generators to run a few things when we get back, although we are being told not to return yet. We are out of the city limits though and will be self sustaining with the gens so as not to be a problem for the ones helping people in need, and maybe I can put my chainsaw to use cleaning up around others. There was no high water around our place so I think we are good to go tommorrow.

Thanks again,

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Nyvall
    Wow, what a deal. We fled Rita the wrong way. We went to mother-n-law's in north west LA and got hit by some pretty high winds. Glad we were here though because she had two trees blow over across the road and into a neighbors yard. With the neighbors help and her chain saw we quickly got it out of the way. One huge pine that took the next day to cut in to small enough pieces to be picked up.

We got word that our home is intact in Dayton, TX but electricity is out for the next month. We just bought two 5600KW generators to run a few things when we get back, although we are being told not to return yet. We are out of the city limits though and will be self sustaining with the gens so as not to be a problem for the ones helping people in need, and maybe I can put my chainsaw to use cleaning up around others. There was no high water around our place so I think we are good to go tommorrow.

Thanks again,

Ernie
    Hi Ernie,
    Glad to hear your home is intact and you are safe, although sorry to hear that it will be so long for your electricity to come back. If you need anything at all, don't be shy, give me a yell. I'm close enough I can give you a hand if you need it.

As Todd previously mentioned, we here in Katy were very lucky. No damage to speak of and just a few limbs and bird nests scattered on the yard when we returned Monday night. Can't complain a bit, even about the 9 hr, 114 mi evacuation drive to Luling, TX. We just feel very fortunate at this point.

Regards,
    Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Schmid
    Can't complain a bit, even about the 9 hr, 114 mi evacuation drive to Luling, TX. We just feel very fortunate at this point.

Regards,
    Brad
    Luling - yuck! Tell me you've got family there. Not one of our state garden spots, unless the Watermelon Thump was going on... Ah yes, childhood memories of driving to Yoakum from Arlington and going through Luling to get there. Lovely aroma of oil whiffing throught the air... Of course, now days that IS the smell of money!

Didn't realize we had so many creekers in the Katy area! Brad, Todd, and myself makes 3 - anymore out there?

Ditto on the helping hand Ernie - let us know if you need anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Foster
    Luling - yuck! Tell me you've got family there. Not one of our state garden spots, unless the Watermelon Thump was going on... Ah yes, childhood memories of driving to Yoakum from Arlington and going through Luling to get there. Lovely aroma of oil whiffing throught the air... Of course, now days that IS the smell of money!

Didn't realize we had so many creekers in the Katy area! Brad, Todd, and myself makes 3 - anymore out there?

Ditto on the helping hand Ernie - let us know if you need anything.

Keith,
    Luling hasn't changed much Oil smell is still just as bad, especially north of town. We actually went to Palmetto State Park which is a few miles South of I-10 at the Luling exit. When it started looking bad for Katy, we packed up the RV and headed out.

There's several more folks on SMC that are in our area. We're building up quite an entourage Mike Scoggins is my neighbor and another fellow SMCer.

If you decide to do a Katy area get together, count me in. I'm just about 5 miles from you up at I-10 and Grand Parkway in Governors Place.

Cheers,
    Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Schmid
    I'm just about 5 miles from you up at I-10 and Grand Parkway in Governors Place.
    My wife's ex-boss lives in Governors Place (she retired and my wife took her position). Know the area well.

Luling isn't sooo bad. But it sure looks like the town took a step back in time. Whole place reminds me of something out of the 50's. Of course that can be good or that can be bad....

Mike too ya say! OK, we gotta do a BBQ!

OK, I certainly don't want to belittle the horrible effects of Rita that other parts of Texas and Louisiana got, but this picture perfectly sums up the extent of damage from Rita on west Houston & in Katy.

Todd
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think that chair is totaled. See if you can get one of those FEMA cards to cover your damages...

I actually lost a branch to one of my trees. OK, so not a big branch. Well, maybe not a real branch. OK - IT WAS A TWIG! There now - are you happy!

Just kidding of course (well, not really - the twig did snap off in the wind). Seriously though, if anyone who got hit hard needs something then let me know. Lots of us West Houstonites feel like we owe 'ya one.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    OK, I certainly don't want to belittle the horrible effects of Rita that other parts of Texas and Louisiana got, but this picture perfectly sums up the extent of damage from Rita on west Houston & in Katy.

Todd
    Ouch Todd, that had to be tuff to wake up to, and it looks like you could have slipped and fell on that wet deck and maybe rolled up against an out door socket that has e-l-e-c-tricity in it and got a shock. Do you need some help getting that chair back up? Whew... take it easy over there and be careful.

Ernie

Chair righting party at Todd's place! I figure with all us creekers in Katy we should be able to have that back up and functioning in a day or two. Might make a good weekend project. Who's got a chainsaw?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Foster
    Chair righting party at Todd's place! I figure with all us creekers in Katy we should be able to have that back up and functioning in a day or two. Might make a good weekend project. Who's got a chainsaw?
    A chainsaw is a great idea. We can super glue the chair where it is and cut the deck around it at least a foot on each side. That will give us enough hand hold to set it up. We can set it up in front of the hole so tall people have a place to hang their feet and nail it to the railing so it wont blow over again. I think we got a plan.

Ernie