Thread: Help me spend a LN Gift Certificate ...

Help me spend a LN Gift Certificate ...

Hi All,

My lovely wife has been incredibly supportive of my new woodworking/tool addiction, and has fueled the fire with a gift certificate to Lie Nielsen. She was hesitant to pick a hand plane for me, but as it turns out, i'm also indecisive, and cannot pull the trigger. I've been granted a budget of $250 - $300 or so, and cannot decide between:

1. an Iron #4 Smoother
    2. the oft-spoken of #62 Low Angle Jack
    3. a #60 1/2 Low Angle Block Plane + some extra goodies

I currently own a Stanley #4C and a #220 that were my great-grandfathers, which I rehab'ed and use quite a bit for, well, everything.

My impressions of the LA Jack are that its a great tool, but may be less-used as i acquire decided tools for more specific tasks -- i.e. a scrub plane, smoothers, etc.

Any guidance on which LN plane to use as my gateway drug is appreciated!

Thanks!

You already have a 4, so get the 62. The 62 can be used for many things with blades honed at different angles.

Also, the 62 can be used as a shooting plane.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe View Post
    You already have a 4, so get the 62. The 62 can be used for many things with blades honed at different angles.

Also, the 62 can be used as a shooting plane.

It doesn't matter which you get first.. You eventually will get all of them. Just pick one that looks shiny. With gift cards, I like to buy the super shiney ones... because the giftcard takes the sting out of it.

The first LN plane I bought was purchased for knowledge. What I mean by that is that I bought several vintage planes when I fist got into the craft, but I felt like getting the best performance out of them was like hitting a moving target. I bought a Bronze #4 and educated myself on what a plane can do. This taught me two things. One, getting good at sharpening cures 95% of everything. Two, premium planes are addicting!

I have a #4 my Dad gave me that I'll never part with. With some tuning and a hock blade, it parallels the performance of my LN #4. Doesn't have the same quality feel, but it cuts just as well. Is your #4 tuned up well? I bought a 62 a couple years ago but ended up selling it because I just never used it really. I should mention that I took about a 10% loss on the sale. Not bad.

The rabbit hole is deep my friend. Were I in your shoes, I would get something that you plan to have forever. This is a gift from your wife, you want to be reminded of that when you pick that tool up. If my wife had bought me that 62, I would have never been able to sell it! That'd be the last tool my wife bought for me lol

You already have a #4. I'd get the #60 1/2 and save the rest for the next thing you "need".

Your wife's a gem, BTW. Does she have a sister?
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 06-05-2016 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Typo

Blog Entries
    My LV LA Jack was the first premium plane I bought and it still probably sees more use than any other plane I have. It just feels comfortable and easy to use. My newer Veritas Custom #4 with 42 degree frog is seeing more and more use. When my Custom #5 1/2 arrives we will see if it gets used more than the LA Jack.

I tend to buy whatever I think might help with whatever projects I am working on at the time. Right now I am leveling small glued panels, making chair legs from 8/4 oak, remodeling my shave horse...removing fair amounts of wood from medium sized pieces.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 06-05-2016 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    My LV LA Jack was the first premium plane I bought and it still probably sees more use than any other plane I have.
    I saw the shop tour video you put on youtube last week; thought your western planes were all LN (#4, #62, and #7) or Weaver (?!)

Matt

Blog Entries
    I would go for the 60 1/2. It is the most used plane in my shop.

Mine is an old Stanley.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Alex and welcome. Your profile doesn't indicate your location, if you are in the Pacific Northwest and would like to 'test drive' a few different planes, let me know.

Do you live in an area where you might be able to attend a Lie-Nielsen tool event? That would be a great place to be able to handle and use a lot of their offerings.

Everyone loves to fantasize about spending someone else's money. Though it is difficult to make a suggestion without knowing what kind of projects you plan to build.

My LN #62 is a very fine plane. My main reason to have it is for shooting end grain. Shooting end grain can be done with many planes though my right shoulder suffered in an accident many years ago that makes some work more challenging, thus a reason for a low angle plane to make shooting a little less painful.

A low angle block plane is a great tool to have. Even with several already in my shop I purchased an LN #60-1/2. It is a very good plane to have. I still use my others and have no desire to part with the LN.

How are you set for chisels? How about saws?

My preferred tools are a bit different than many folks. I enjoy working on old tools and bringing old neglected tools back to life. For me working with a century old tool can be just as pleasing as working with a brand new modern tool.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim brings up a good question about chisels and saws. I have a few different makes of chisels, including my starter set of Marples Blue Chips, acquired in 2001. Until I got my set of LN chisels, I was never quite happy with balance, edge retention, etc. if you don't have a good set of chisels, think about it. Safe the beater chisels for schlep work.
    Maurice

If it were me, I would get the #4. I think it's the best plane I have ever used. I am no pro and no expert, but to me it is the quintessential plane. The block and la jack I could take or leave.

Thanks for all the thoughtful comments. Jim -- unfortunately, i am far away on the east coast in Pennsylvania. It doesn't look like there are any Hand Tool Events in my area in the near future, either. As for saws and chisels, I have a pair of Veritas saws, and several of the newer Stanley SW socket chisels that suit my needs. I've been adding a chisel here and there as i have need, which isn't too difficult at @$20 or so a piece. I think having a single LN chisel would almost be more harm than good -- i'd have to have a matching set!

I really am torn between LA Jack and the #4. As mentioned above, having gifted funds to play with really takes the sting out of the cost of a premium plane. I'd like to think that I could sneak in the purchase of a saw, or a LN chisel or two down the road if i really wanted to. There's no breaking up that $300+ for a hand plane though.

My main hang-up is partly due to what Prashun has commented -- that the LN #4 just seems to be that quintessential premium tool that once added, stays forever and does that it does very well. On the flip side -- a tuned up Stanley #4 can also accomplish smoothing tasks extremely well. The LA Jack also seems like a great tool -- and would fill a gap in my work that i currently don't have a solution for -- shooting end grain and miters, in addition to being a great multi-tasker in other areas as well.

Still deliberating ...

Blog Entries
    My main hang-up is partly due to what Prashun has commented -- that the LN #4 just seems to be that quintessential premium tool that once added, stays forever and does that it does very well. On the flip side -- a tuned up Stanley #4 can also accomplish smoothing tasks extremely well. The LA Jack also seems like a great tool -- and would fill a gap in my work that i currently don't have a solution for -- shooting end grain and miters, in addition to being a great multi-tasker in other areas as well.

Still deliberating ...
    My thought would be to either go with the LA Jack or a #5. If you already have a #4, why duplicate instead of expanding your plane till?

Of course if the looseness of the Stanley #4's adjustments bothers you then replacing it may be a good choice.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If the budget could expand slightly, you could do a Large Router plane and a small shoulder plane for $310. I'd argue that those 2 would give you more capability than another bench plane, and the new versions aren't significantly more expensive than a used one that needs tuned up. You could always go with an old #6 for cheap to fix up to get you a longer plane for jointing after this.

Also, if you keep your #4 sharp, you can shoot end grain/miters with it. Not as easily, of course, but it can be done.