Thread: ULS ILS series top door gas struts

Lightbulb ULS ILS series top door gas struts

FYI to anyone that may have ULS ILS series laser and need to replace the gas struts that support the top door.

Mine grew weak, and occasionally would drop the top door on my head while I had it up placing material or removing it. The top door is huge as you that have it know. I inquired about the cost of the cylinders. I also did some investigating myself. I got the manufacture from the label on them and checked online to see about getting them direct. The manufacture of mine is Gunden and their part number was easily looked up on their website. ULS cost @ $56 each. Gunden's cost direct was $11.59 each. $23.18 for the 2 struts. Shipping seemed a bit high, but tax, shipping which was $22.65 and both struts came to $50.30.

I am pleased with the whole order process direct from them. It was easy, fast and I got the same parts that ULS put on for a fraction of the cost from ULS. The specs on the struts list 150 pounds force + or - 7 pounds. That's 300 pounds of force! I couldn't compress the new ones ANY and while I did manage to compress the old ones slightly and was skeptical they were in fact weak enough they couldn't hold the top door the news one work great.

Gunden is in New York state, has a excellent website for ordering and looking up what you want.
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.

As a heads up, it's Guden.com and they used to have a $50 minimum charge. I bought 4 struts for the same price as two when I was ordering.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Mike,

You can find reasonably price struts at automotive parts dealer. such as NAPA.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Lamb View Post
    As a heads up, it's Guden.com and they used to have a $50 minimum charge. I bought 4 struts for the same price as two when I was ordering.
    I didn't include the website because I wasn't sure it was allowed to. Figured I provided enough information without doing that for anyone to locate the right place.
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lenkic View Post
    Mike,

You can find reasonably price struts at automotive parts dealer. such as NAPA.
    I know. BUT my old struts are still quite strong - I can barely compress them by hand and cannot the new ones at all. Rated at 150 pounds strength. I would be concerned of getting ones strong enough trying to match them up. I doubt NAPA or AutoZone can reference them by Manufacture name and part #. Possibly can, but didn't try. It took me about 10 minutes to locate and order the new ones. And I know they are exactly the same as the ones I had to begin with.

I understand Mike,
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lassiter View Post
    I didn't include the website because I wasn't sure it was allowed to. Figured I provided enough information without doing that for anyone to locate the right place.
    Oh, I don't know if it's not allowed to include a link to a place like that, I thought it was ok, just can't link to your own website. Regardless, my point was that you misspelled Guden, folks might have had a bit of a time finding it with Gunden.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Lamb View Post
    Oh, I don't know if it's not allowed to include a link to a place like that, I thought it was ok, just can't link to your own website. Regardless, my point was that you misspelled Guden, folks might have had a bit of a time finding it with Gunden.
    yea, you have a point.