Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Hardware Plywood any good?

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest

Home Hardware Plywood any good?

HH (Canada) has 3/4" shop grade birch ply imported from South America at a reasonable price ($51 cdn. and change). The quality looks good to the naked eye, straight layers and no visible voids, good veneer.
    I have a large project coming up and this would fit perfectly but I bought crappy plywood before and would appreciate if someone could share their experience with S/A plywood.
    Thanks in advance
    John

Never really understand why these home centers import plywood,they say its cheaper but 51.00 is not cheap.I remember what seems just few yrs ago going to HD and not having to go through a stack to find some decent sheets of plywood.It had on the side saying where it was made USA and the maker,B/C and it stain nicely.
    So back to your question,China or South America it can't be no worse.If it looks good and the plys look good I say give it a try for your next project----Carroll

I get your point, talking about plywood is like opening a can of worms.
    Reason I'm asking is I've seen veneered particle board separate in a high end custom built kitchen after 3 years and $90 cdn. plywood with so many voids and paper thin veneer from a very reputable seller it almost made me sick.

they say its cheaper but 51.00 is not cheap
    $51 Canadian = $40 US
    Plywood doesn't get much cheaper.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Is the South American plywood Auraco plywood from Chile? If so I've used it for several shop cabinets (not Birch, I think it was Radiata Pine) with no problems.

Another Canadian here. I've bought the plywood you're referencing from Home Hardware.

Fortunately, it was for a shop project. It's "OK", but certainly not "great". I found it filled with voids, the show surfaces delaminated for no reason I could figure out, and it tended to "curl" beyond other plywoods. Bottom line - for the price, it was just "OK" - but I wouldn't be making any show projects out of it.

While we're at it - have you noticed a depreciation of quality in the "Baltic Birch" that Home Hardware sells? My latest few sheets have been filled with voids, discolouration, and like the birch, subject to strange de-lamination (surface veneers separating from the rest for no reason).
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Thanks Roy for the feedback.
    I only inspected the top two sheets and was impressed with the veneer thickness on the good side. Future delamination would be a nightmare, I am planning to build a new kitchen within the next few months.
    I had the issues you're describing with $85 cabinet grade maple plywood from Windsor Plywood, just garbage.
    I too noticed similar problems, no delamination, with BB from Windsor Plywood and inconsistent thickness from under 17mm to just about 18 mm. HH here in Rocky Mountain House only brings it in on special order as far as I know, so I don't know where they source it from.
    Guess I will be careful and only buy a few sheets for now, the timing would be right since they're having their 50's anniversary next week with store wide discounts.
    BTW.: I like your signature.
    John

Don't know if ya'll have an lumber yards up there, but around here, I found some of my lumber yards actually carried better grade ply for just a few dollars more than the box stores. Plus they had more selection, helped me sort through it, and even loaded right on the trailer.

Blog Entries
    Roy,
    I've had issues with all Baltic birch plywood delaminating. I will not buy it anymore. A quality plywood from a lumber yard is what I buy.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Roy,
    I've had issues with all Baltic birch plywood delaminating. I will not buy it anymore. A quality plywood from a lumber yard is what I buy.
    You're absolutely right about quality ply from a lumber yard. Unfortunately (at least in this regard), I'm in a semi-isolated location in northern British Columbia (close to Alaska), and the only game in town is a Home Hardware, and another local builder's centre which stocks pretty much the same stuff. When I absolutely HAVE to have quality ply, I order from the same lumber yard that I source my hardwood - and grit my teeth regarding the shipping costs. Otherwise, for run of the mill, or shop related projects, I make do with the local offerings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Harding View Post
    You're absolutely right about quality ply from a lumber yard. Unfortunately (at least in this regard), I'm in a semi-isolated location in northern British Columbia (close to Alaska), and the only game in town is a Home Hardware, and another local builder's centre which stocks pretty much the same stuff. When I absolutely HAVE to have quality ply, I order from the same lumber yard that I source my hardwood - and grit my teeth regarding the shipping costs. Otherwise, for run of the mill, or shop related projects, I make do with the local offerings.
    I feel your pain. It's sad when our hobby is difficult because of quality control that we have to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lankers View Post
    Thanks Roy for the feedback.
    I only inspected the top two sheets and was impressed with the veneer thickness on the good side. Future delamination would be a nightmare, I am planning to build a new kitchen within the next few months.
    I had the issues you're describing with $85 cabinet grade maple plywood from Windsor Plywood, just garbage.
    I too noticed similar problems, no delamination, with BB from Windsor Plywood and inconsistent thickness from under 17mm to just about 18 mm. HH here in Rocky Mountain House only brings it in on special order as far as I know, so I don't know where they source it from.
    Guess I will be careful and only buy a few sheets for now, the timing would be right since they're having their 50's anniversary next week with store wide discounts.
    BTW.: I like your signature.
    John
    John,

I'm originally an Alberta boy, so I'm familiar with your location. It may be worthwhile for you to take a day and head into Edmonton or Calgary (possibly Red Deer, although I'm not familiar with what's available there) and source quality ply from a lumber yard - PJ White in Edmonton comes to mind.

I'm now located in Terrace, BC - and the closest quality lumber yards are located in Edmonton, Calgary, Kelowna, and Vancouver - so we're talking about a one way trip of anywhere from 10 - 14 hours. There's a Windsor Plywood in Prince George, but as you noted their stuff is no better than Home Hardware (there was a time when Windsor Plywood was my "go to" source for ply - but that was about 20 years ago.) I love living up here, but this is the biggest drawback for me. I solve the hardwood supply problem by planning what I'm going to do over the next year, keeping certain woods in "stock" in my shop (red oak, cherry, walnut, and hard maple), and placing one largish ($4K - $6K) order per year - this keeps the shipping costs down to an acceptable level. If I have an unexpected need, I either bite the bullet on shipping charges, or plan a trip to Edmonton or Calgary (I have a son in each city) for a few days. My sons think we're there to visit them (and my wife IS there for that reason) - but I'm really there for the lumber yards!!

Best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Harding View Post
    John,

I'm originally an Alberta boy, so I'm familiar with your location. It may be worthwhile for you to take a day and head into Edmonton or Calgary (possibly Red Deer, although I'm not familiar with what's available there) and source quality ply from a lumber yard - PJ White in Edmonton comes to mind.

I'm now located in Terrace, BC - and the closest quality lumber yards are located in Edmonton, Calgary, Kelowna, and Vancouver - so we're talking about a one way trip of anywhere from 10 - 14 hours. There's a Windsor Plywood in Prince George, but as you noted their stuff is no better than Home Hardware (there was a time when Windsor Plywood was my "go to" source for ply - but that was about 20 years ago.) I love living up here, but this is the biggest drawback for me. I solve the hardwood supply problem by planning what I'm going to do over the next year, keeping certain woods in "stock" in my shop (red oak, cherry, walnut, and hard maple), and placing one largish ($4K - $6K) order per year - this keeps the shipping costs down to an acceptable level. If I have an unexpected need, I either bite the bullet on shipping charges, or plan a trip to Edmonton or Calgary (I have a son in each city) for a few days. My sons think we're there to visit them (and my wife IS there for that reason) - but I'm really there for the lumber yards!!

Best of luck to you.
    PJ White in Calgary is where I usually go but that is still at least a 4 hour drive one way (we live west of Rocky), spruce, Poplar, pine and birch is a non issue but everything else is.
    But as you stated we live in the most beautiful part of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Is the South American plywood Auraco plywood from Chile? If so I've used it for several shop cabinets (not Birch, I think it was Radiata Pine) with no problems.
    The OP's description sounds a bit like Auraco. I have been happy with that brand when I purchased it at Home Depot in the US. There were no visible voids and the outer layer was the same thickness as the inner layers. I don't recall seeing any patches on the surface.

Steve

The Plywood at a Home Hardware won't be specific It will be whatever that yard bought from the wholesaler. Home Hardware's carry whatever the guy decided to order.

$51.00 pre-finished plywood in 3/4" on Vancouver Island is gonna be import birch. It will have some core voids and a thin veneer. Its not the right grade for kitchen cabinets or high end stuff but I've used it for shop cabinets, its fine.

I own a bunch of Home Hardware stores west of the Rockies..