Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: A Promise Kept....

Hi,

Oh boy I'm dreaming for this plane since so long. I can't wait for this plane to release....
    Will be hard

Regards,
    Graween.

Blog Entries
    I have the Veritas Small Plow Plane. It has done everything I've ask of it, Including grooves, and beads. I have all of the irons for it, which iirc, includes plowing grooves as wide as 3/8". It also will plow toungue and groove.

I just can't get excited about a large plow.

As the old saying goes, "Different Strokes for Different Folks".
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 02-06-2017 at 6:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have the Veritas Small Plow Plane. I has done everything I've ask of it, Including grooves, and beads. I have all of the irons for it, which iirc, includes plowing grooves as wide as 3/8". It also will plow toungue and groove.

I just can't get excited about a large plow.

As the old saying goes, "Different Strokes for Different Folks".
    For many a small plow plane will do all they ask of it. For some who work with larger joinery a large plow may offer a better solution:

#45 Side Handle.jpg

Above is a 1-1/4" blade being used. That is a bit big for the physics of a small plow plane. Likewise some other blade designs would be a bit much for a small plane to handle. Of course for those who do not anticipate using wider blades a small plow might be preferred. Currently my #45 seldom gets used for a 1/4-1/2" slot. The smaller work is more suited to a #50, one of Stanley's answers to a small plow plane.

Also when using a reeding blade, for multiple beads on a single blade, there is a lot more surface being removed than a straight blade. This is where a more substantial plane body is an aid.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-06-2017 at 5:03 PM. Reason: wording and clarifications
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That looks awesome Jim! Do you mind if I shamelessly copy your extra wooden handle idea? It looks like that gives you a place to steady/guide the plane without torquing on your fence screws.
    There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Dean View Post
    That looks awesome Jim! Do you mind if I shamelessly copy your extra wooden handle idea? It looks like that gives you a place to steady/guide the plane without torquing on your fence screws.
    Be my guest Jason, you have my blessing. That is why it was posted years ago in the first place.

If you do something fancy please post pictures.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-06-2017 at 7:27 PM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Rob,

Having just cleaned out my piggy bank on your shooting plane, I'll ask if you're still on track for a fall release of the large plow plane (with intro pricing)...

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Rob,

Having just cleaned out my piggy bank on your shooting plane, I'll ask if you're still on track for a fall release of the large plow plane (with intro pricing)...

Best,
    Chris
    Hi Chris,

Yes, we're still on track for releas by fall. No marketing info released yet though....

Cheers,

Rob
    (PS...thanks for the order!)
    Last edited by Rob Lee; 05-09-2017 at 9:02 AM.

Thanks for the update Rob!

A request/suggestion for Rob:

Put together a nice little PDF, perhaps even with an accompanying video, of a box build both USING the plow planes (large and/or small) AND most importantly, FOR the planes. Complete with storage solution for ALL of the blades y'all offer. Measured drawings, yadda yadda yadda.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Handworks is the premier stage for hand tools, bar none. If you want exposure for a product, that is the place to get it. Interestingly, it is a "closed" entity. Not everyone can show his wares there. I talked with one very accomplished tool maker who was excluded from showing there for undisclosed reasons.

I applaud the handful of vendors who are bringing stock with them to sell. This is completely within the spirit of the event and the venue. Let the commerce begin! Its is too bad that Lee Valley is not able to at least show their prototypes of the plow plane. Perhaps they learned from Lie-Nielsen that it's not nice to tease and then withhold.

If you are going, give your fellow Creekers a "Howdy" and the secret handshake. See you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    Handworks is the premier stage for hand tools, bar none. If you want exposure for a product, that is the place to get it. Interestingly, it is a "closed" entity. Not everyone can show his wares there. I talked with one very accomplished tool maker who was excluded from showing there for undisclosed reasons.

I applaud the handful of vendors who are bringing stock with them to sell. This is completely within the spirit of the event and the venue. Let the commerce begin! Its is too bad that Lee Valley is not able to at least show their prototypes of the plow plane. Perhaps they learned from Lie-Nielsen that it's not nice to tease and then withhold.

If you are going, give your fellow Creekers a "Howdy" and the secret handshake. See you there.
    Hi Mike -

We will definitely have something of interest there....

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi Mike -

We will definitely have something of interest there....

Cheers -

Rob
    Rob, I have been patiently waiting for the #3 Custom smoother. Any chance of that coming out soon?

Quote Originally Posted by frank martin View Post
    rob, i have been patiently waiting for the #3 custom smoother. Any chance of that coming out soon?

me too!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cady View Post
    me too!!!!!!!!!!
    Looks like we are out of luck. I purchased a LN #3 and it is a great plane but would rather have Veritas ergonomics.