Thread: EnduroVar Alternatives?

EnduroVar Alternatives?

I bought a gallon of EnduroVar a couple of weeks ago through WWHardware at something like $92/gallon plus shipping. Today I paid $99.99 at Rockler, and it's an even $100 at Homestead Finishing. EnduroVar is a great product, but this is just too much money. So I'm looking for comparable alternatives, not just products you use and like. SW's Ken Aqua Plus is one alternative that might be comparable, perhaps even more durable, but I can't easily get it; can't even get it with mild pain. If you ain't a production shop they won't sell it to you in NY.

Are any of Target Coatings products comparable in terms of chemical durability. Pretty much nothing associated with consumer use bothers EnduroVar, at least with short term exposure.

Whatever product you like, it has to be waterborne and available to a consumer - me. I'm fine setting up an account with someone, but I'm not an incorporated business.

Thanks.

John

John, I haven't used EnduroVar so I can't make a comparison, but I use Target EM 2000 (Hybrivar-old name) which has the same oil modified quality as the Enduro and will amber with age. A gallon goes for $79.00 ($71.00 now on promo) so with shipping you will be very close to that $100.00 mark you are at now.

John, I haven't used this product, SW Wood Classics WB Poly, but someone mentioned it on another forum. It should be available from SW retail stores.

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...thane-varnish/

THanks both. If TC charges for shipping I won't be much further ahead with their products, although I would like to try EM2000. The SW Wood Classics WB Poly might be an option, depending upon its chemical durability. Zar also makes an oil modified WB varnish called UltraMax that might be worth a look, too.

Has anyone used Crystalac Super Premium Poly. It's $56/gal to my door, which would cut my cost almost in half.

John

John,

Take a look-see at these two different manufacturers:

http://www.greenlightcoatings.com/index.html Good stuff, and they don't overcharge for shipping.

Shipping charges from San Diego might kill the deal for you in your far eastern US location, but I've been using EcoSteps-Coatings Spraymaster for a few months now with very good results. It dries really fast. They get it to me in one day (up north, near Sacramento), and don't gouge me on shipping charges. Their water based grain filler is unique too.

https://ecostepscoating.com/

Well, I'm feeling rather stupid right now. I stopped into my local SW store this afternoon and asked the guy if I could buy Kem Aqua Plus and he looked at me sort of funny and said "Of course.". Good grief, why didn't I just ask them directly when I started looking for alternatives rather than calling the corporate group? He quoted my $232 for a 5 gal pail with 2 day delivery to the store. That's just over $46/gal. A 5 gal pail of EnduroVar is $404 plus shipping, or $89/gal + shipping.

Time for a change. I'm always interested in new to me WB topcoats, so all your recommendations aren't for naught. I'll look into the links and recommendations you all provided and report back if I try them as to my impressions and test results.

Thanks. I appreciate your help.

John

John,

Are you happy with the Kem Aqua Plus? I'm in the middle of spraying base and crown for my entire house and the cost of Enduro Var is starting to add up. I'd love to switch to a cheaper alternative. Do you think the difference between enduro var and Kem Aqua Plus would be very visible?

Thanks,

Travis

Any follow up on this?

I still have never tried the Kem Aqua Plus. I have a pro friend that allows me to use his account and I can buy EnduroVar at a much better price than at retail, so I haven't made a change when I want great durability. Where just a little less chemical durability is OK, I mostly use Enduro Clear Poly.

I have seen changes on SW's website and it now appears you can buy Sayerlack directly from SW. Also, both the Sayerlack and Kem Aqua Plus are now being sold in 1 gal containers, so there's even more reason to try them.

John